Best direction to face the port...?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Denial-

CarAudio.com Recruit
Pa
I'm curious if there's a best option or it's mostly just preference... either way I'm wondering what is the best direction to face the port of the box? I have an suv and room to either face the port towards the back where the lift gate is or towards the front which would be then hitting the back seats. Is there a better option or are both directions pretty much the same? Thanks guys!

i like the port on the same side as the sub/s
Alright, and then do you face the port towards the back of the car or towards the front where the seats are? That's what I'm curious about, and if it even makes a difference anyway

You don’t want to face them forwards. It will cause cancellation and you will lose bass. Point them to the back or up.
Thank you man. That ends that then lol. Can you explain how it causes cancelation or just more about it? I'm just curious what exactly it is or how it happens just so I know. I have an idea what it probably is with just the name lol. Guessing some of the bass is canceled out in a way

Generally you want the port to fire rear within a few inches (usually 6” or less, a lot of factors to that) of the hatch, because that creates a pressure zone behind the box that causes more pressure in the box itself, which tends to make your entire bass system play louder across a wider bandwidth. There’s usually a golden zone, especially with SUV’s or large cabin vehicles. The air loses energy quickly when firing the port forwards, like the energy dissipates too quickly, and the inside of the box just can’t build up the same amount of pressure vs firing rear. What you want to do, in general, is slowly increase the cross sectional area from the port opening into the cabin, instead of have the port just dump out into the middle of the vehicle into a huge open space.

Last edited:
Generally you want the port to fire rear within a few inches (usually 6” or less, a lot of factors to that) of the hatch, because that creates a pressure zone behind the box that causes more pressure in the box itself, which tends to make your entire bass system play louder across a wider bandwidth. There’s usually a golden zone, especially with SUV’s or large cabin vehicles. The air loses energy quickly when firing the port forwards, like the energy dissipates too quickly, and the inside of the box just can’t build up the same amount of pressure vs firing rear. What you want to do, in general, is slowly increase the cross sectional area from the port opening into the cabin, instead of have the port just dump out into the middle of the vehicle into a huge open space.
Thank you man. This was exactly what I was looking for. Wanted the question answered but also the why in hopes of being able to learn something also. Thank you for taking the time to write all that.

Id play some of your favorite music.. play with the enclosure. Ive enjoyed subs up port up in a small suv(CRV). Subs rear port rear do nice as well. i did do 4 tens subs up port rear in an 02 tahoe and it got down just fine as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...