Best bang for the buck on an amplified subwoofer

jcarver
10+ year member

So the GF wants a little bass in her car but doesn't want to sink a ton of money into it. I was thinking about some of the sub/amp combo's where the amp, sub, and box all come together. Looking under $200. What would be the most bang for the buck on something like this. Trying to say with a 10'' or higher. Here is something I already found.....

Enclosures | APPB-12AMP $160

This forum seems obsessed about big bass, so you're not gonna get many good comments about powered subwoofers. I personally can't comment on pre-made bass combos, but I could suggest how to build one from pieces. For the woofer, I'd recommend Infinity Reference subwoofer. They cost something like $60 a piece online. They are not the loudest, but the basic sound quality should be there, with good impact. Infinity/Harman/JBL subwoofers have always been about quality bass IMHO. If you can't give your subwoofer at least a 1 cu ft box, I'd say go with the 10 inch one. The impedance configuration should depend on the kind of amplifier that you will buy. For the box, get a $30 "Sonic sub box" of size and shape that you desire from sonicelectronix.com. This leaves you with about $100 to buy an amplifier. Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with the selection of $100 amplifiers to suggest one.. The truth is that, with the exception of a few one-time deals, most of $100 or cheaper amplifiers are crap. I know that the PPI Phantom P600.2 should work fine, although overkill, but it costs more than $100.

for just a decent bass increase

sonic have a

Rockford Fosgate R2D2-12 12" Prime Stage 2 Sub + Crunch PZA700.2 Amp + Amp Kit + 12SSPF Enclosure

for $180

or if you want to spend a bit more and not buy as a package

MB Quart FX1.400 $80

Kicker VC124 (10VC124) (in a ported box) $130

and 4g wire kit from $19

$230

cant post links but if on there site you'll see them

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.