Best Amplifier application for my American Bass XFL's

Jstevens0716
10+ year member

Ny
Hey guys! First Post!

I recently put together a system in my 2010 Charger consisting of 2 American Bass 12's, and a Soundstream Rubicon 2500.1. So far i have been very discouraged with its performance, unfortunetly. I have ran this ruby in the past on a Nightshade 15 and was happy with its performance, but something here just isnt right. I dont seem to be.getting much power to these subs.at all, and at the local audio shop when tested the amplifier i was rather discouraged to here him say i.was only producing 580 watts to the woofers (on 1ohm), do to box rise? I do not know much about this problem i am having, which is why.i have turned to you guys, after a very positive reference.

I was running the Soundstream VIR-8300NR headunit in the vehicle, and was told by the local shop that this may be part of my problem. So i removed the headunit and replaced with an older Alpine CDA-9830 i had just laying around. Quality seemed to be clearer, but that was about all.

I replaced the box with a 2 12 center ported enclousure, 1.85 cuft each. Thiss seemed to.help, but definitly.not.a.fix.

Also added an XS Power D925(I believe)

Previously i was running a crappy powerbass 3xl on a jl 1000/1 v1, and that sounded pritty good so i desided to.upgrade. Now iv got almost $800 into this "upgrade", and my old $100 craigslist system would make this look rather silly.

So i have fallen back onto the amp.... what would be my best choice for amplifier for these subs in the cost/quality ratio? :-D I am a noob, so all opinions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to get your money back for the Rubicon or send it back to Soundstream. Maybe it's a bad ground. If you want to change your amp; Sundown prbly is your best bet.

I have actually sent the amp back once already and been replaced with a new. I was looking into the DD M3b amplifier, love the amp, but its just a little out of my price range

Hey guys! First Post!
I recently put together a system in my 2010 Charger consisting of 2 American Bass 12's, and a Soundstream Rubicon 2500.1. So far i have been very discouraged with its performance, unfortunetly. I have ran this ruby in the past on a Nightshade 15 and was happy with its performance, but something here just isnt right. I dont seem to be.getting much power to these subs.at all, and at the local audio shop when tested the amplifier i was rather discouraged to here him say i.was only producing 580 watts to the woofers (on 1ohm), do to box rise? I do not know much about this problem i am having, which is why.i have turned to you guys, after a very positive reference.

I was running the Soundstream VIR-8300NR headunit in the vehicle, and was told by the local shop that this may be part of my problem. So i removed the headunit and replaced with an older Alpine CDA-9830 i had just laying around. Quality seemed to be clearer, but that was about all.

I replaced the box with a 2 12 center ported enclousure, 1.85 cuft each. Thiss seemed to.help, but definitly.not.a.fix.

Also added an XS Power D925(I believe)

Previously i was running a crappy powerbass 3xl on a jl 1000/1 v1, and that sounded pritty good so i desided to.upgrade. Now iv got almost $800 into this "upgrade", and my old $100 craigslist system would make this look rather silly.

So i have fallen back onto the amp.... what would be my best choice for amplifier for these subs in the cost/quality ratio? :-D I am a noob, so all opinions are greatly appreciated.
going from a JL 1000/1 to a Rubi 2500 is not an Upgrade..that is a downgrade. The 3XL is not a crappy sub(yours might have been), I have been running a pair for years on a AQ2200D without a single issue and they impress flawlessly....They do need a big assed box though. Your best bet for an amp will be a American Bass VFL 150.1 or this:

B² audio - Sweet like Danish

Double check your ohm load you may only be wired to 4 ohm or even 2 ohm. And a good small foot print 2krms that I like to run is the ab ph-4000md. I have the ph-2500md running 1 hd12 at 1ohm right now and it hits pretty good. I'm switching to the 4k this afternoon to see if my electrical can handle it and what I need to do to make my electrical solid enough for 2krms

I would also double check your amps ground and see what your voltage looks like at the amp. The rubicon 2500 is usually good for a minimum of 2krms and I see quite a few of them in local competition.

Iv always had good.luck with this amp, but this time around im really not sure wha,ts going on. When i set me gains , i set to 50 on the dmm, with all the filters off and eq flat, and with the gain is practically completely turned all the way down.

I actually saw someone else, just a couple threads below me having the same problem with the same amplifier also

So since i have put up this thread i have recieved sone helpful information in response to my question, and also via PM. I have done some extensive research since posting this, and came to a conclusion that there are many of you guys on here running this Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500 amplifier, and most people are happy with its performance/quality/cost. Im sure there are many other amplifiers out there that may work as well/better than my current amplifier, but i have currently in the process of closing on my first home, and watching my checking account significantly deminish, and bills significantly sky rocket :-D, i think its safe for me to say i will be unable to shop for a new amplifier until after the new year, due to being on such a tight budget.

So i begin my Trial/(Hopfully No) Error process. (All input greatly appreciated). I have been playing around with my settings on this ampfilier over the past couple days. I previously had the input voltage set correctly (49.9 v) with harfly any output! So yestetday i began adjusting sone of my settings on the amplifier and HU, with a little better luck. I am noticing significantly better performance with the amplifier, but only on very high bass boost lvl, and at 50% on LPF.... Does this sound correct, and is the amplifier safe to run with that much boost? I am not currently experiencing any distortion, (in which i was surprised). My next question for you guys im sure will sound like a noob question, as for i will not argue (i am noob, with a large appetite for knowledge), and i understand all system run at different settings and adjustments buttt... Does anyone have an idea of approx. Where my settings may need to be, or where i could start?

I am running (2) AB XFL's 12" in a ported enclosure, 1 ohm, SS rubi 1.2500, small xs power d925, 0g runs, with an older alpine HU (cda-9830). HU hpf 80hz i believe, which significantly helped mlwith my distortion issue i stated prior, and lpf set flat.

why don't you just buy a couple of APSM 1500's for dirt cheap and see what they do. I personally know they put out rated power...and at $125 a pop....thats dirt cheap.

That may very well be an option in the near future, but honestly i am really hoping to work out my tuning issue with some fellow caraudio members to make my current amplifier work. After speaking with many people, the information i have gathered is that the amplifier isnt the problem, its the person making the settings :) I have had great luck in the past with a 15" Sundown Nightshade on this same amplifier, and was absolutely flawless, 143.7 db... but that system had been completely built for me by a friend.

I will definitly look into that amp, that is crazy cheap. This soundstream i have now is only a month old, and just spent $280, and i guess im just not giving up on her too easy.

So since i have put up this thread i have recieved sone helpful information in response to my question, and also via PM. I have done some extensive research since posting this, and came to a conclusion that there are many of you guys on here running this Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500 amplifier, and most people are happy with its performance/quality/cost. Im sure there are many other amplifiers out there that may work as well/better than my current amplifier, but i have currently in the process of closing on my first home, and watching my checking account significantly deminish, and bills significantly sky rocket :-D, i think its safe for me to say i will be unable to shop for a new amplifier until after the new year, due to being on such a tight budget.
So i begin my Trial/(Hopfully No) Error process. (All input greatly appreciated). I have been playing around with my settings on this ampfilier over the past couple days. I previously had the input voltage set correctly (49.9 v) with harfly any output! So yestetday i began adjusting sone of my settings on the amplifier and HU, with a little better luck. I am noticing significantly better performance with the amplifier, but only on very high bass boost lvl, and at 50% on LPF.... Does this sound correct, and is the amplifier safe to run with that much boost? I am not currently experiencing any distortion, (in which i was surprised). My next question for you guys im sure will sound like a noob question, as for i will not argue (i am noob, with a large appetite for knowledge), and i understand all system run at different settings and adjustments buttt... Does anyone have an idea of approx. Where my settings may need to be, or where i could start?

I am running (2) AB XFL's 12" in a ported enclosure, 1 ohm, SS rubi 1.2500, small xs power d925, 0g runs, with an older alpine HU (cda-9830). HU hpf 80hz i believe, which significantly helped mlwith my distortion issue i stated prior, and lpf set flat.
lpf set to 80hz or guesstimate, and hpf kills everything below 80hz, so if you right the single you are sending to you amp would be explaining the issue.. lpf should be set to 80hz

lpf set to 80hz or guesstimate, and hpf kills everything below 80hz, so if you right the single you are sending to you amp would be explaining the issue.. lpf should be set to 80hz
Set lpf to 80hz on the amplifier and hu? I was having a.problem before with my door speakers getting to much bass, the stock speakers couldnt hack it. I had set to hpf 80hz to help...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.