Benefit of 4ohm load over 1ohm

Motovet
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have two Rainbow vandiums and two Rainbow amps. One of these amps would fully drive the two @ 1ohm, and the two amps strapped would max them out @ 4ohm. Is there a benefit running the two @ 4ohm over just one @ 1 ohm? Either way would put down about the same wattage, but audible differences, or other factors between the two choices?

Strapping your amps at 4 ohm will put each amp at 2 ohm. So you're really only seeing double the impedance at the amp, not 4 times.

At a higher impedance you draw less current, and the amp stays cooler.

well, the way amps work, 1 ohm will probably give you a lot more power (I^2*R) then running the driver at 4 ohms, but theoretically speaking if you can get as much power from 4 ohms vs 1 ohm there is less I^2*R losses due to heat because the current is much lower. Lets use 100 watts as an example.

100 = 10 amperes * 10 amperes * 1 ohm s

.........OR

100 = 5 amperes * 5 amperes * 4 ohms

Of course with 4 ohms you need a lot more volts (electrical potential) to achieve that 100 watt load, but you'll have less losses doing it so 4 ohms would indeed be better than 1 ohm. There other reason high voltage is also ideal is because with very high BL drivers, you get a larger impedance and you NEED more voltage to driver the speaker. As you can see if you add BL, the impedance increases, but if your current stays the same, you get less and and less power. You need more voltage to maintain the same power level with high BL drivers. - this also ties into the myth that big SPL drivers need high power (they actually don't....)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Motovet

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
Motovet
South Bend Wa.
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date