Belt ripped apart :/

Participant count
  • Participant list
Well guys....

Driving home from class about 30 minutes ago and my belt decided to one, rip apart and two, spread it self throughout the road.

Luckily, there is a good local shop that was .2 miles from where this happened.

It's parked there now and I'll be putting on a new belt in the morning.

I am posting to figure out what caused this to happen.

Did you swap belts to 1/2 inch shorter belt when you got new alt to compensate for smaller pulley ? Sounds like by the screeching that the belt was too loose and slipped until it wore thru ? I would put on a new belt tensioner too if you didnt already. By the way I just got a video of my new 300 amp hairpins doing close to 310 amps each and close to 200 amps at idle ! cant wait to get them on.

Check for seizing bearings
Sent from my Moto G4 using Tapatalk
Ok will do

Did you swap belts to 1/2 inch shorter belt when you got new alt to compensate for smaller pulley ? Sounds like by the screeching that the belt was too loose and slipped until it wore thru ? I would put on a new belt tensioner too if you didnt already. By the way I just got a video of my new 300 amp hairpins doing close to 310 amps each and close to 200 amps at idle ! cant wait to get them on.
Do I need a new tensioner because of the shorter belt length?

I still haven't clamped my alt but the video they sent me showed it peaked at 280+ and I have a 270 so thats good. They said 200 @ idle but I honestly don't know.

I need to clamp because I want to see what I'm putting at idle.

Tensioner keeps belt tight and the spring tension gets weaker with time, I put one on with every new belt and never have belt slip any more. Ya he sent me vids too but I couldn’t get them to load on the site but I can’t wait to see how 600 amps keeps my voltage up !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Hers a pic
9d80db321dde5200f65fb561510b022d.jpg

Tensioner keeps belt tight and the spring tension gets weaker with time, I put one on with every new belt and never have belt slip any more. Ya he sent me vids too but I couldn’t get them to load on the site but I can’t wait to see how 600 amps keeps my voltage up !

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Hers a pic
9d80db321dde5200f65fb561510b022d.jpg

Ok, ill see if I can put one on. I might have noticed a decent amount of smoking coming from my alternator so........ possibly this did a bit more damage than I thought...

Are those from CES? They look really nice.

Will add that the belt screeched when the car started.
Would screech for 2-20 seconds on just about every startup.
That was a sign/a clue of what was about to happen. Sadly, it got ignored and look what happened. I hear it all the time from other cars driving by my house, and out and about on the road and it's the most annoying sound of all.

That was a sign/a clue of what was about to happen. Sadly, it got ignored and look what happened. I hear it all the time from other cars driving by my house, and out and about on the road and it's the most annoying sound of all.
It really is.

I thought it was just the idler pulley making a bit a ruckus.

Replacing that and going to try a full inch shorter this time.

Ok, ill see if I can put one on. I might have noticed a decent amount of smoking coming from my alternator so........ possibly this did a bit more damage than I thought...
Are those from CES? They look really nice.
Yes they are from CES and should be here Wed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Got the tensioner and idler pulley replaced
https://i.imgur.com/Wsa72zd.jpg

I just like how they used "extensive" when in fact, my system is so small compared to just about everyone else's system.
Well got to remember it’s for your own good on the label ? Remember on reg car once you unhook the battery electrical is dead but not on a car with more batteries in the trunk that they may not know about ? But anyways did that fix the squealing problems?

Well got to remember it’s for your own good on the label ? Remember on reg car once you unhook the battery electrical is dead but not on a car with more batteries in the trunk that they may not know about ? But anyways did that fix the squealing problems?

I've only driven it from the shop to my house. Which is only about a mile.

But on that one mile there weren't any sounds, squeaks, or squeals.

So hopefully its fixed.

I'm sure something else will break in the near future.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.