Becker "hierarchy"

alenf

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 25, 2020
Roma, Italy
Hi All, my first post here, I'm absolutely a newcomer in car audio.

I must change my car player; I have decided for a Becker, for several reasons: the look of the one shown in picture fits perfectly in a car with many “ovals” (MG F).
I noticed several models with the same look and different names: Mexico, Indianapolis (with navigator), Grand Prix, maybe others.
Here comes the question: given this same look, which one has the better sound? I’m not interested in the GPS - we all use phones nowadays!

Thank You, and Cheers

Alessandro

Alessandro
Mexico Pro.jpg

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Why do Europeans always try to replace their stock headunits with other stock headunits?

Not a single person here is going to have an answer to your question.

OP
A

alenf

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 25, 2020
Roma, Italy
Maybe just because I like the way it looks, and I don't give a damn if it's branded Becker or Pioneer or Boeing or McDonald's. Didn't this occour to your mind reading what I wrote (I supposed clearly enough, but I'm doubting now)?

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Looks like a 93 geo metro. This forum is 99.9% USA members. We aren't going to have an answer for you.

Just run a DSP.

OP
A

alenf

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 25, 2020
Roma, Italy
LOL we (europeans...) have a term to describe cheap cars with tuning (non just audio - I'm sure you have lowered suspensions etc.): taroted (from "tarot"), meaning smtgh fake). They're popular in some country areas, where kids can't afford a proper car. Thank you for your lesson, but looks don't lie ;-) :

2016-JMS-Ford-Focus-ST3-910-1.jpg
mg-occasion-12366-1.jpg

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
Al
Like Popwarhomie said, this is 99% USA forum. Becker is not sold here, and neither is MG. We have no idea about the equipment that you asking about, or the car that it is going in.

Reactions: Popwarhomie

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
LOL we (europeans...) have a term to describe cheap cars with tuning (non just audio - I'm sure you have lowered suspensions etc.): taroted (from "tarot"), meaning smtgh fake). They're popular in some country areas, where kids can't afford a proper car. Thank you for your lesson, but looks don't lie ;-) :

View attachment 20971

Ehhh ;)

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 6.30.03 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
A

alenf

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 25, 2020
Roma, Italy
Like Popwarhomie said, this is 99% USA forum. Becker is not sold here, and neither is MG. We have no idea about the equipment that you asking about, or the car that it is going in.
Becker arrived in the US as standard factory equipment on Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, Porsche, Rolls-Royce.
Some years ago they stopped selling car audio, yet they still have GPS etc.
https://www.beckerautosound.com/

Just as a curiosity, Becker radios were always considered top-notch for sound quality.

Thank You for saying things politely, anyway.

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
I don't think anything I said was un-polite. I'm just blunt and don't beat around the bush. My question as to why euros always try to replace stock headunits with other stock headunits was legit. We have alot of people from "across the pond" that ask about wiring stock radios into cars they didn't come in. I just don't understand as most stock headunits are garbage and aftermarkets are cheap with better options and tuning capabilities.

Reactions: shredder2
OP
A

alenf

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 25, 2020
Roma, Italy
OK, so let's try to be less blunt, with the help of some history...
Many many years ago my late Father bought a new car: a Mercedes 560SEC. He was disappointed by a minor detail, though: "What a lousy radio for such a car...". Please note that, at the time, his work was international transports, he dealt mainly with electronics, and customers were Sony, Mitsubishi, etc.
So, he wasn't and Hi-Fi nut, but definitely had a few ideas...
The fashionable brands at the time were Pioneer, Clarion, Alpine, Fujitsu etc.; I'm sure all these brands sound familiar.

SO, he made a few questions around - to real nuts - to choose something to replace the lousy headunit, which was simply marked: "Becker Mexico"... And quickly discovered that it was really considered TOP stuff for suond quality. No need to change at all :)

I can't say if Becker was ever sold as such in the US, or reached that side just as stock units aboard the cars I listed above (and the names in that list should make you think, especially since you own a European car).

What I can tell you is that yes, it was stock stuff for a few top brands; but was available as aftermarket as well, for those who could afford it (they were outrageously expensive).

Hope this makes it clear. Just as a curiosity, the stock headunit for MGs is this one - but I don't have it! -:

MGradio.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help 1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds