Bass song to Rock song transition = UGH!

seedlings

Senior VIP Member
I've mentioned before that I haven't been into a car audio system for a long time. The new (new/used) gear is now installed and there is a problem. It seems like it can be EQ'd to sound fine for EITHER bass OR non-bass (rock, punk, etc). Not both.

You guys who listen to a variety of music, how do you transition between genres? Stop, pick a different EQ setting, play a song, then stop, pick another EQ setting and play a new song?

I don't currently have a bass knob at the ready. It's not just bass though. Going from Decaf or even something like Flux Pavillion (with extra high sizzle, and extra bass, and not a lot in between), to Foo Fighters or Audioslave makes one or the other type of music sound real bad.

What's your technique?

CHAD

A good tune will play everything like it's supposed to be played
Engineering-wise, you're absolutely right. A relatively flat system will sound waaaay different between genres. So, you don't worry settings or anything, and just deal with the extreme tone difference, huh?

CHAD

i dont have any problems ether.

just tune it right and your good for all songs.

and you should look into a bass knob. makes it easier to lower the bass when needed.

Engineering-wise, you're absolutely right. A relatively flat system will sound waaaay different between genres. So, you don't worry settings or anything, and just deal with the extreme tone difference, huh?
CHAD
Not flat. They sound like ****

A tune with a nice response curve. Midrange is a flat baseline, sub stage a bit hot, tweeters a bit cut.

You will hear the music as its intended, recorded.

It will sound the same across all volume levels. You will get the suttle to hot dynamics and stay composed.

Bass knob is good and actually adjust it pretty much during every song. Doesn't the pioneer have some custom EQ presets? Rock, Jazz, Hip Hop, etc. In addition to that, should have a few custom ones you can set yourself.

All i can advise is a better head unit with the ability for two custom eq curves. Aka 80 prs. I have an sq curve and an spl demo curve (flat) that i can effortlessly switch off with.

Rock is normally recorded at -12 to -16 db bass levels and edm, dubstep is usually -1 to -5, its inherent differences in the recording, i normally have genres seperated so when i go from one genre to another, i can prepare the settings before hand

This is the acoustic View attachment 26552820curve I have used for years. If everything you play does not sound good using it than you are playing garbage recordings
All I have is a radio shack SPL meter. There is a major node at 80Hz, and the response dips like 15dB there. Switching polarity of the sub didn't make a difference. 100Hz and up is +\- 8 dB, except above 10kHz when the meter can't register. Below 100Hz has a rise from 80Hz to 50Hz, then gently rolls down 5 or 6 db to 20Hz, but the meter is less sensitive down there.

To sum up, the frequency response is all over the place, but that 80Hz dip hurts the rock/alternative music. Hey, I spent about $300 for the entire system, so this is acceptable. After more time tweaking levels, the switch from bass music to alternative rock is much better.

Thanks!!

CHAD

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.