Bass problems

Participant count
  • Participant list

rlwjr1

I have a 4guage hot wire going to a distribution block, with two 8 gauge hot wires going to two amps. one 8 gauge is going to a 380 watt RMS class AB Amp going to door speakers and 6 x 9s in the back. The other 8 gauge hot wire is going to a Mono block class D Alpine Amp pushing 500 watts rms to a single 750 watt subwoofer. I can turn the subwoofer off and turn it up as loud as I want, no problems. But, with the subwoofer turned back up, when I turn the volume up to the sound I want, the system, sometimes ti turns the breaker completely off as,, I have a breaker instead of a fuse, It is a 100 watt breaker. Other times the sound goes off , then comes back on about 3 seconds later. I also have an 8 gauge ground wire going to each amp. I switched the ground wire around. It did not help. I switched the hot wires around , and it did not help. Any ideals please. The system sounds great, with my JVC 13 band equalizer head unit and the alpine amp hits the single subwoofer just right. But , it irritates the hell out of me either shutting off or especially / kicking the breaker off . My alternator is also 110 amp alternator, and battery is less then 6 mons ol d

You never mentioned if the big 3 has been done yet, that will certainly help your voltage a bit, not a lot but a wee bit. A HO alt is key to upgrading any electrical running multiple amps. And running 1/0 good quality wiring too.

What popwarhomie said and could be because your circuit breaker might need a higher amperage one. How are your gains set on the amps? What's the audio consist of? And wiring brand name, and yes it matters.

And why do you keep calling the wiring "hot wires"? Are they hot?

You never mentioned if the big 3 has been done yet, that will certainly help your voltage a bit, not a lot but a wee bit. A HO alt is key to upgrading any electrical running multiple amps. And running 1/0 good quality wiring too.

What popwarhomie said and could be because your circuit breaker might need a higher amperage one. How are your gains set on the amps? What's the audio consist of? And wiring brand name, and yes it matters.

Bad wording, I called them hot, but I have a 4 gauge positive wire comign from batter, to distribution block , and then 8 gauge positive wire going to each amp, And 8 gauge ground wires coming from each amp . as far as brand. not sure. I had them for a while , cannot remember .

no just bad term from me. not hot , I should have said positive wires not hot

If you are popping a breaker you either have a short, pulling too much amperage, or your breaker is bad.
It does not pop the breaker most the time. The music just fades off for about 3 seconds then comes back on. But if I turn down the subwoofer on my car audio head unit. Then it never gives a problem. I even changed the ground and positive wires around to see if it would help. It did not

what do you mean when you say "you changed the positive and ground wires around"? They are both 8 gauge correct?
yeah ive got the 4 gauge positive into the distribution block from battery. then 2 8 gauge going to each amp. SO I changed them around, to see if that changed the results any. I did the same with the ground wires. I did it just to see if one of the positive or ground wires were bad. I may buy a new 4 gauge or change the distribution block or I may take it to the local audio installation place . Let them check all the wiring to see if it reads what its suppose too. That wiring is to expensive to go changing it if you not sure that is the problem

To me, it seems that the breaker is the issue. Its drawing too much amperage and flips. You said you have a 100w breaker? I could be wrong here but how is a 100w breaker gonna work with a total of 880w (380w door speakers and 500 watts to sub)?

Are you you sure you mean watts and not amperage for the breaker?

Crutchfield Specs say you need a fuse or in my case a breaker around the same as the fuses in the amps. My alpine amp has 2 fuses at 30 amps each. My 4 channel amp has 2 15 amp fuses for a total of 90 , and my breaker is 100. at least according to crutchfield this is sufficient

To me, it seems that the breaker is the issue. Its drawing too much amperage and flips. You said you have a 100w breaker? I could be wrong here but how is a 100w breaker gonna work with a total of 880w (380w door speakers and 500 watts to sub)?

Now, the breaker could be bad. I will probably just take it to the local installer. Have them do a check on the wiring . I do not have the tools to check it myself. That way I can either find out if wiring is the problem, or eliminate it if it is not the problem

yeah I did use watts instead of amps I meant 100 amp breaker

yeah I did use watts instead of amps I meant 100 amp breaker
The breaker could be too small. Sounds like you have about 1400 RMS from amps. 1400w / 13v=108 amps.

You might consider getting a bigger breaker before forking over cash to the shop.

^^^^This. I would try a 150 amperage circuit breaker. And Crutchfield only suggests that for one of 2 reasons 1 safety on their part and customers and 2 a marketing thing to get you to spend more $$. Most of us here don't run circuit breakers.

Also I might add how are your gains set? Should match your hu pre output voltage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.