Bass Boost, Amp Vs HU?

Who's frowning on the Redline? I haven't used them but I've heard nothing but good. And I saw a ridiculoud number done with them.
(Mispelling kept because it's hilarious. And poignant)
I dig that word. Here are a couple examples:

Once again I will say that I would not buy their redline series. Most of the big companies have entry level stuff. You're paying for the brand more than the product or R&D. Many people buy redlines so they can say they have DD.
Smallest DD sub I'd buy is a 3500 if I was going for a SQ system on low power. 9500's if I wanted a reasonably priced trunk build. Probably wouldn't buy the ceramic 9900's with 4" coils' date=' honestly. Z's for anything the 9500's can't do[/quote']

I don't think anything lower than 35XX for DD is worthwhile.
Not calling anyone out so I took out the names of the quote authors, opinions are another reason why I am here - real perspective from real people on stuff I am curious about. There are a lot more here, but it doesn't bother me as I just had no idea they were frowned upon as much as they are.

Redlines = loud, low RMS, budget friendly, well built, very reputable company, not RF/Kicker (lol, ex fanboy of both in their good years).

Sorry to hijack your thread Jake //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Some HU's have a subwoofer output level...such as my Alpine 9835...which I use.

My amp has a 18db bass boost...which is at "0" and always will be.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't bass boost also lead to clipping?

Bass boost on amps is essentially a EQ that can only go up at a set freq or some have adjustable freq. just like any EQ a little bit of boost might be OK. But nobody does just a little.

Some HU's have a subwoofer output level...such as my Alpine 9835...which I use.
My amp has a 18db bass boost...which is at "0" and always will be.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't bass boost also lead to clipping?
Oh heck...I mean on amps, lead to clipping...??!!??

let me guess. You arent getting sh*t for output with that vfl 4480.1d?
American Bass PH4000MD* and it's not even hooked up yet so I wouldn't know, said I was curious for a reason cause I didn't know. Not cause I need it.

Bass boost that is infinitely adjustable throughout a range using a remote knob is much more useful than a switch. In this case I would use the adjustments on the head unit to add bass to taste at low-medium volume.

American Bass PH4000MD* and it's not even hooked up yet so I wouldn't know, said I was curious for a reason cause I didn't know. Not cause I need it.
I wouldn't bass boast the amp ever. I'm a noob, so some of these guys have better incite. But when i tested my Alpine M110 with a scope it would clip with any boast at about any volume from the amp. I have a 8 band EQ built in my HU, and I could go 1-2 DB at 40 and 80 Hz fine at louder volumes (35/40). I currently run -3DB on my 40 Hz, and -2DB at 80 Hz. It gives me a much cleaner smoother sound and it feels like it thumps better too. This allows me to go up to 38/40 cleanly.

I haven't scoped it with my HU set at -3/-2(40Hz/80Hz), only 0/0, 0/1, 0/2, 1/0, and so on to see what I could do with a boost. The doors never clipped, even at 40/40 which suprised me. IDK what I got with the sub yet. I haven't had a chance to pull the car into work to hook the scope up. I'll do that after I fix everything else wrong with my build //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Turned off my bass boost on my HU today after this discussion last night, lol. Now I can turn my in line amp knob all the way up. This KAC-9106D is actually a darn pretty decent amp it seems, can keep my '05 built KX-1200.1 in storage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.