"Bass blockers" with components. Install before or after crossover?

Matts175

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a set of components I'm installing, which came with a passive crossover. These will just be running off radio power. I want to filter some bass from the mids. The plan is just to install a simple bass blocker capacitor. My question is.... Do I put the bass blocker before the passive crossover or do I put it after, between the crossover and mid? My concern about putting it before, is that it would some how change the crossover point of the tweeter.

I have a set of components I'm installing, which came with a passive crossover. These will just be running off radio power. I want to filter some bass from the mids. The plan is just to install a simple bass blocker capacitor. My question is.... Do I put the bass blocker before the passive crossover or do I put it after, between the crossover and mid? My concern about putting it before, is that it would some how change the crossover point of the tweeter.

Run the components per the instructions. What speakers? What frequencies do you want to block and why? What headunit? Why aren't you running an amp on them?

My concern about putting it before, is that it would some how change the crossover point of the tweeter.
You are correct. I put passive x-overs on the input RCAs of two old amps to run them 3-way "active". The tweeter capacitors changed the "curves" of the midrange amp dramatically.
But then again, no better teacher that firsthand experience. Then if you post results, we'd be better informed.

I wouldn't do it all. If you must, then put it between the woofer and crossover, but don't expect it to act like a bandpass crossover. Why do you need to block bass to the mids if you're only using HU power?

If you are installing a capacitor to block low frequencys, you generally do it closest to the amp. You don't want your mid or your tweeter getting bass frequencies.

In your case, the passive crossover will include a "bass blocker" for the tweeter. You can do before or after the crossover and it makes no difference.

I installed capacitors directly on my amp outputs for my midrange and tweeter channels as a bit of extra protection. There was some math involved, but the capacitors aren't doing anything if the amp is operating correctly. They are just there incase of an electrical glitch so I don't blow my 3" midrange or my tweeters.

20220424_190758.jpg

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...