Basic Question about 5-Channel Amps (Please help!)

Participant count
  • Participant list

plckle1

NJ
Very new here,

I have a basic question about my Pioneer GM-D9605 5-channel amp. I have combed through the user manual and cannot find any information on this.

What I want to know is if I do not connect anything to the 5th channel (subwoofer channel) will the amp work alright just powering the other 4 channels (I have components and coaxials on the other 4 channels)? I ask this because I want to upgrade my subwoofer to a dedicated mono amp and a new sub, but I still want the components and coaxials to work as they are right now.

And on a side note, if this does work, will the 5-channel amp draw less power as well because it is no longer pushing a subwoofer?

Thank you very much for any help

I've owned/installed a few 5 ch amps and almost all of them have a selector switch to disable the sub ch if the user chooses to run it as a 4 ch amp only. It's def not a problem, even if it didn't have a switch on it and you didn't hook it up to a sub, it'll be fine. The input select on the side of the amp is what your after, simply slide the switch over to the A/B side. Also has another switch to choose either 2 or 4 ch mode...put that on 4 ch and should be good.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictures_new.php?id=100369&picture_id=2725241

And on a side note, if this does work, will the 5-channel amp draw less power as well because it is no longer pushing a subwoofer?

Thank you very much for any help
Yep, boomin is correct, also yes, itll draw less current as the sub output wont be utilized and therefore not drawing any power to that part of the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.