Backup camera issue

uvdevnull

Hi all,

When this first happened, I assumed it was a bad camera and replaced it, but now I'm on number three of different brands and models, so it's gotta be me as opposed buying three broken cameras.

I have the power cable connected to reverse lights. I tested with a multimeter that it gives 12.8 volts when reverse is geared. So the power cable seems ok. I then tested the video cable by using a different source, a VCR, starting at the back where the camera would plug in and resulting in 1.18V in the cab. So the video cable seems ok, too. Now, when I plug in the cameras into both the power and video cables, nothing happens. I get 0 volts on the video cable in the cab. I even bypassed the long video cable and tested the voltage directly on the camera's output, but keep getting 0 there. What the heck am I doing wrong? It's not making any sense right now. My original assumption was the camera device was broken and it wasn't transmitting a video signal. However, three brand new devices later, I'm starting to think it's me, not them.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Peter

P.S. 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL with OEM GPS Navigation and CD changer.

Sure, the ground goes to the negative on the reverse light wire. There is no remote that any of the cameras have. They have only two cables, power in and video out. The cams are supposed to turn on when power is given to them. Models include Boss Audio Systems LPC35 and Esky EC180-19.

I haven't watched it before. I did now, but I don't really see any importance. What exactly does it show? How to connect a camera to a 3rd party head unit? I don't get it.

Btw, last night I connected the camera directly to the battery, completely bypassing the reverse light power, and it worked. Connected the video cable to a TV and got the pic. Which introduces more confusion. How can it work there and not on the other power source? Both locations provide the same voltage, I verified numerous times. Is it possible that the reverse light has an amperage limiter on it that is preventing the camera from getting enough juice?

I don't think you bought 3 cameras which are all broken. Maybe the rearview function in your car stereo is broken. Try to contact your dealer for help.
I have a stock head unit, there is no rearview function, it shows the video whenever the source cam is on and transmitting a video signal. And for troubleshooting, I'm completely bypassing the head unit and instead using a multimeter, a TV, and a VCR. No head unit plays a part here.

so u are tapping into ur reverse light wire for power and it is not working, but when u go to another power source it is? also u said u test the reverse light and u r getting voltage with car in reverse, but it s not giving u any power to ur rearview camera, is that correct?, how are u tapping into ur reverse wire?

so u are tapping into ur reverse light wire for power and it is not working, but when u go to another power source it is? also u said u test the reverse light and u r getting voltage with car in reverse, but it s not giving u any power to ur rearview camera, is that correct?, how are u tapping into ur reverse wire?
Yeah, man, that's pretty much the story. The splice is made well by cutting and stripping the original wires and twisting them together with the addon and using a crimped connector to hold them together.

I haven't watched it before. I did now, but I don't really see any importance. What exactly does it show? How to connect a camera to a 3rd party head unit? I don't get it.
Btw, last night I connected the camera directly to the battery, completely bypassing the reverse light power, and it worked. Connected the video cable to a TV and got the pic. Which introduces more confusion. How can it work there and not on the other power source? Both locations provide the same voltage, I verified numerous times. Is it possible that the reverse light has an amperage limiter on it that is preventing the camera from getting enough juice?
Check what the fuse rating for your reverse lights are.

You can always do a switch or connect directly to the reverse light fuse.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

I'm all set. All done. It finally works. The reason why it took me two weeks instead of a few hours is because the OP of "Aftermarket Camera It Can Be Done! - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums" never mentioned the fact that he was using a 6-pin connector in a 7-pin hole, skipping one pin altogether. The pictures show it, sure enough, but I didn't see that, I only followed text, which didn't mention this. So I did the rest of it two weeks ago, but that piece of the puzzle had me scratching my head for two weeks. Finally done, thanks to user schwejo in that forum, who pointed this out to me and made me see the light. Also big thanks to you guys for keeping me engaged, thinking, and sane ;-)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.