B2 or Deaf Bonce?

markosg9l

CarAudio.com Newbie
Greece
B2 B2 Rage15XL

Deaf bonce 3015R

i could stretch to Deaf bonce 2 3515R

Would you choose one over the other or both brands perform same? since I'm not changing box, does b2 or DB like a big box?

Amp, Digital designs M1C, 300A alt, 3 batteries stinger spv70. The guy who made the box said it plays 40hz-60hz
bevtourhs-17042023-0001.jpg

Last edited:
Would you choose one over the other or both brands perform same? since I'm not changing box, does b2 or DB like a big box?
The box has to be fabricated for the sub. I spoke with my amp tech last week whom told me he has been refoaming alot of Deaf Bonce subs from a certain shop. They are pumping out boxes too big for the subs which sound impressive, but they have little resistance which causes over-excursion and the foams tear at the cone junction. So I say choose whichever sub, then get a specified box.

The box has to be fabricated for the sub. I spoke with my amp tech last week whom told me he has been refoaming alot of Deaf Bonce subs from a certain shop. They are pumping out boxes too big for the subs which sound impressive, but they have little resistance which causes over-excursion and the foams tear at the cone junction. So I say choose whichever sub, then get a specified box.
How much difference is there in box requirements among drivers? I will absolutely not make another box if I ever switch subs.

How much difference is there in box requirements among drivers? I will absolutely not make another box if I ever switch subs.
I was using my nephew's SA10 which was in a kerf ported monstrosity. It was basically a one note wonder, every genre sounded mute on most of the spectrum so I looked up specs on it. The kerf box is ~1.75 net (SA10 wants 1 net) and no idea on the port volume since it is kerf inside as well. The port area was way above Sundown's specs, so I transfered the sub into a sealed 0.75 cu. ft. box that I have. It sounded better in that tiny box which is 0.15 cu. ft. off specs.
The box of the 10w7 would not work for it is 1.25 net and port area ~ 25 sq. in. It was too different for the SA10.

From what I have read the DB likes a tighter box. They recommend 3.5cu net for the 15" while most 15" subs play best in 4-5cu net.
Agreed.my 12 calls for 1.9 and its in 1.75 net.dont want to be wearing out the surround from over excursion.i have allways had better luck with subs in a slightly smaller box then too big.

Agreed.my 12 calls for 1.9 and its in 1.75 net.dont want to be wearing out the surround from over excursion.i have allways had better luck with subs in a slightly smaller box then too big.
In my limited experience "tighter" enclosure's that are still in the optimum area for any given sub always play more accurate and with more punch. Only downside is to match a "loser" built box's spl or output you need more power.

Over excursion usually happens when playing below port tuning. The size of the air space can be a little smaller or larger and it won’t make a huge difference on how far a sub moves in comparison to each space, if the port tuning is correct. What happens often is that someone has a 1.5 cube box tuned to 35 HZ and they stick a sub with .25 displacement in it and they now have a box at 1.25 cubes tuned to 38 or 39 HZ, then they lay rebassed music with 28 HZ clipped sine waves in it. This happens a lot when people upgrade from small power subs to larger power subs in the same box.

Over excursion usually happens when playing below port tuning. The size of the air space can be a little smaller or larger and it won’t make a huge difference on how far a sub moves in comparison to each space, if the port tuning is correct. What happens often is that someone has a 1.5 cube box tuned to 35 HZ and they stick a sub with .25 displacement in it and they now have a box at 1.25 cubes tuned to 38 or 39 HZ, then they lay rebassed music with 28 HZ clipped sine waves in it. This happens a lot when people upgrade from small power subs to larger power subs in the same box.
Is there a certain power level where going higher is negligible as far as the speaker's displacement?I could see going from a 150w driver to a 500w driver would make a huge difference in driver displacement, but what about 1500w to 2500w or 2000w to 3000w? Motors can only get so big!

Is there a certain power level where going higher is negligible as far as the speaker's displacement?I could see going from a 150w driver to a 500w driver would make a huge difference in driver displacement, but what about 1500w to 2500w or 2000w to 3000w? Motors can only get so big!
There probably isn’t a huge difference in some of them with displacement. It matters more with the smaller boxes and smaller subs. The smaller the box, the more port tuning would be affected by added displacement. A 5 cube box wouldnt be affected that much by a .15 difference in displacement but a single 300 watt 8 being swapped out to an 800 watt 8 in .75 cubes might make a big difference. now .15 cubes changes port tuning a lot. It would depend on circumstance for sure. The 2000+ watt larger drivers are going to want more air space usually anyway. The Zv5/6 12 from sundown wants at least 2.5 cubes but most of their 12 inch drivers under 2000 watts are going to be the typical 1.75-2 cubes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...