Four 10" Subs vs 3 12" Subs

All__Fun

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
I have a - DOWN4SOUND JP95 - 1500W RMS 5 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER - Which can do : RMS power, 1ohm for CH5 BASS CH: 1212 W x 1
(From independent testing - Big D WIZ)

My rear cargo area measures:
43L x 22h x 16d = 15,136 = Cubic Inches
15,136 / 1728 = 8.759 Cubic Feet

I am deciding upon doing 4 10's or 3 12's in a sealed box.

I listen to mostly hip-hop but I previously had 2x12's and now I want hear something different
I am debating between:

3x Kicker COMPC12

VS

4x Alpine W10S4

I know that 3x12 has slightly more Cone Area (339 vs 314)

I am having a hard time finding the Motor Strength of both subs (Bi^2 / Re)

Can anyone help me make a decision, and also list your reasoning.

I want to stay < $400 on the subs.

(somebody recently stole my previous subwoofers, and now I just don't feel like spending heavy on new subs)

I have a - DOWN4SOUND JP95 - 1500W RMS 5 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER - Which can do : RMS power, 1ohm for CH5 BASS CH: 1212 W x 1
(From independent testing - Big D WIZ)

My rear cargo area measures:
43L x 22h x 16d = 15,136 = Cubic Inches
15,136 / 1728 = 8.759 Cubic Feet

I am deciding upon doing 4 10's or 3 12's in a sealed box.

I listen to mostly hip-hop but I previously had 2x12's and now I want hear something different
I am debating between:

3x Kicker COMPC12

VS

4x Alpine W10S4

I know that 3x12 has slightly more Cone Area (339 vs 314)

I am having a hard time finding the Motor Strength of both subs (Bi^2 / Re)

Can anyone help me make a decision, and also list your reasoning.

I want to stay < $400 on the subs.

(somebody recently stole my previous subwoofers, and now I just don't feel like spending heavy on new subs)
How did they steal em? You got me paranoid

I would do 4 tens myself. Id rather do a ported and tuned enclosure, but each to theyre own of course.
I like the recommendation of the American Bass XD DVC2 ohm subs. I have some and even the XO DVC4 ohm subs and they do take a beating and keep going. Ive never Blown or sealed and A. Bass subs Ive had and do have. All have been pretty reliable. Another option would be taking a look at SVC 4 ohm subs of 4 to run at the 1 Ohm stable load on that amp. Polk Audio has been a contender from my experiences sealed,even some cheesy azzed Kenwoods did well. Here is another sub to take a look at in a sealed application.

Also keep in mind that if you find a decent deal on some subs that are DVC2 ohm or DVC1 ohm or DVC 4ohm, that they can still be wired up as a SVC sub and ran as a SVC sub... Same goes for any DVC sub, but you will only be able to place HALF of the RMS value on that sub. Example .. wire up one coil of a 600 rms DVC sub at 1/2 the RMS value would be 300rms

Last edited:
I would do four 10's but that's just me. And would probably do these subs https://soundqubed.com/10--hds-2.2-series-subwoofer/ They will sound good and hit hard on that amp but still allow you the headroom to kick up to a larger amp if you wanted. I also think the American Bass https://www.americanbassusa.com/xd-10-d2.html would be a good sub for you as well if you needed a cheaper option.
Help me understand this.

I have 1200W on my amp.

The 10" HDS 2.2 Series Subwoofer - SoundQubed

You listed require 600w RMS.

With my current amp, I can only provide 300RMS per sub.

Even the American bass you listed has a 450RMS. so it has rms range of 405w - 540w.

Isn't it better to just match the sub rms to my amp W ??

On a dyno the impedance is stable...music playing across actual speakers and your impedance will rise as you play different frequencies and as impedance rises your amp puts out less power...

I mainly look at dyno tests to see if an amp can make rated in a stable setting and what the dynamic run shows
One question for you:

I have 1200w from my amp to play with.

How much can I underpower some subs / go under the subs stated rms?

Meaning - with only 1200W from amp

can I get 4x 450 rms subs? (they will only get 300w from my amp)

or can I get 4x 600rms subs? (they will only get 300w)

Or should I stick to strictly some subs rated at 300rms ??

like what is a good rms i should aim for with 1200w available ??

One question for you:

I have 1200w from my amp to play with.

How much can I underpower some subs / go under the subs stated rms?

Meaning - with only 1200W from amp

can I get 4x 450 rms subs? (they will only get 300w from my amp)

or can I get 4x 600rms subs? (they will only get 300w)

Or should I stick to strictly some subs rated at 300rms ??

like what is a good rms i should aim for with 1200w available ??
With the AB subs if you send 2-300w to them they will play fine. In a perfect world a 2k amp would be better for 4 entry level subs. Or you could just do 2 decent 12's and your amp would be plenty.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...