Avoiding fixing air conditioning by making stereo louder.

Participant count
  • Participant list

billythegrape

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello from Knoxville, TN.

I have an antique conversion van with a Sony head unit. One of the ones with an ipod input, sirius, etc. maybe 4 or 5 yo. I will update with the exact model and such if necessary.

My problem is this. I have 8 speakers connected to 4 channels. It'll turn up fairly loud, but god is the sound horrendous. It kind of sounds like you are trying to blast bass boosted Wu Tang out of a Gameboy speaker. Or maybe out of one of those old timey record players with the horn attached to the needle.

The speakers are all in working order, the 2 4" in the doors are new. It was like this before replacing the front door speakers, but now there is sound coming from the doors (speakers there had no cones).

I could fix the AC and close the windows, thus enabling myself to hear the horrible sound better, but I don't really need AC and I'd rather hear decent sound decently with my windows down.

What's the cheapest, best fix here? An amp? I could install one literally on top of the stereo as there is plenty of room.

The main issue is I'm a mechanic, not a car audio guy. No clue about amps or custom audio at all. The most bad ass thing I have done with car audio is to refoam the sub in my wife's minivan.

So 17 watt RMS from the deck, and thats with only 4 speakers, and you said you have 8 hooked up? So your seeing like 7-8 watts per speaker? That sound like ur problem right there. A cheap 4 channel amp would do wonders.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.