Avoid PPI and Soundstream DSP's

Helix = Problem Solved
2-3x the price, car audio markets aren't that easy

Yep. Works awesome and isn't that much more than those cheap ones.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I ended up with the DSR1 for something like 180$ for one NIB from someone who never used it. Great DSP with some bugs. Stupid how channels 7/8 are force summed to a sub but you could get 2 of them and still be better off price wise than a helix dsp

Didn't that just come out?
I really hope it lives up to expectations but I haven't seen many try it out yet so I dunno

edit: nvm it's not out until 7/16
I don’t think Dayton has a bad product out. With DSPs it’s all about the software.

I don’t think Dayton has a bad product out. With DSPs it’s all about the software.
That's exactly what I was getting at. If the software is bug-free and has all the features it's going to be a killer product - unless they bump the price up. Under $200 is the market for budget DSP's

Ive bought a lot of dayton subs, speakers, tweets home audio gear and everything I have or have had has been excellent. And who places a 5 year warranty on theyre gear these days other than Dayton?

THAT is a KILLER! That dayton might be what I am looking for. And I like the Windows software option as well as the Bluetooth. Yea, the price is going to climb up to about $180, but out of the box, all you need is a Windows laptop, and Everyone can get access to an old Tablet windows based PC. You don't need anything fast to do the job. Hell, you can even use a wireless USB if you find a dongle that works. But in all, **** good deal.

I think the only thing that really is missing is the autotune feature, or a mic input that does the calibration for you. But that's just on about every Consumer level deck out there and most of the time its just not quite as good as doing it by ear, or manually with other tools.

5 YEAR WARRANTY? You GOTta be kidding. AMAZING VALUE AND DEAL!.

From the website, it goes over the unit with some more detail.

And its not a BAD looker either.

230-500_ALT_3.jpg

But that BLUETOOTH Dongle.. JEEZ.. Its so ..."That's what your girlfriend says"

230-502_ALT_1.jpg

The control knob is not to shabby either. Just don't see the point if you have the Bluetooth module. Once you set your DSP, its almost set and forget most of the time.

230-504_HR_0.jpg

Regardless, your going to need one of these for a clean install, and so it does not run into issues with the USB breaking or the dongle.

90-degree-usb-gender-change-cable-l-shape-plug-usb-cable-low-profile-l-shape-usb.jpg_640x640.jpg

This one might work better for the layout of the unit with the RCA's not getting in the way.

up-angled-usb-extension-cable-l-shape-usb-cable-l-plug-elbow-plug-usb-gender-change.jpg_640x640.jpg

Or do something Custom like Solder to the board, but it does not look like it is going to stick out more then some RCA cables.

s-l225.jpg

I have been using these for years in cars, and just made my own to go over Cat6 cable or Firewire cables since they are shielded the max.

C5AUDIOP.jpg

That way, you don't really run into fitment issues. Its one of the small reasons why I am more inclined to go with the Bare board MiniDSP options, and they do have a killer DSP for a good price.

Actually, so far, the MiniDSP is still the value and flexibility leader.

_mg_0561.jpg

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

And the cool part is you can just hard wire it all, put it in a smaller kit box, or modify the one for $95 bucks, and call it a day.

_mg_0646.jpg

Either way, you get a great DSP, and at a great price. I have not heard of to many Failures of MiniDSP units either. And the PRICE is out of this world affordable. Not bad!

I'm almost out of space in my car. I got so many things in my dash. 2 phones, a Asus tablet chromebook, and another cheap tablet to run RealRTA. Still, I think the REAL dsp route is the way to go. It would help with my speaker setup. Surprising I was able to make it sound so good for what I got just running mostly modified stock stuff. THat Reminds me I need to post a system diagram.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

wew lad

5,000+ posts
wew lad inc
wew lad
VA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies