Audioque HD3 -vs- the new HD3C

i know in another thread someone said that the HD3's sweet spot was 40hz. is this still the sweet spot (for highs AND lows)?? or would it be better to tune the 12" at 38hz for better lows????? any input??

i had mine( hd3 15) tuned at 37hz at 4.5ft^3 and it hammered every tone perfectly //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I should be buying 4 12s soon and trying to sb3....any new plans for you?
Plans.........no. Nothing that I am acting on anyway.

I have been daydreaming about a new SB3 setup though. If USAC is not going to do something to make competitors play actual music with some variation in tone, I may do something that totally defeats the purpose of the class........just hope I can find a windshield sponsor. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I wish I would have waited to pick up 2 of these 15's. However I am a little concerned about the FS being so high, 38 hz, wouldn't that mean that it will not pick up the lows as well as the old HD3's with a FS of 29hz?

They actually play low better than the HD3 in my box, regardless of what the FS is. I don't have any explanation as to why, other than they have a MUCH higher X-max than the HD3 and a slightly heavier cone. It is rather noticable though. The HD3 rolls off quite a bit harder and sooner than the HD3c.

There are a few other things I have noticed. They don't have quite as much punch as the HD3 on kick drums. They aren't really sluggish, and are better than most subs on the market, but they won't quite do what the original HD3 did. Some may actually like that though, as I have heard people say the HD3 is too punchy for their tastes. Personally I love the punch of the HD3, so I kindof miss it. Another thing is that at a low volume on the head unit, it seems like the new sub fades away worse than the HD3. For instance, if I turn down the head unit to talk on the cell phone or something, it seems like the new sub becomes totally inaudible, while the HD3 is still audible. Not that it really matters all that much, just something I noticed.

This is that same box you had tuned to 34hz with the 6in aero?

From what youve seen, would you recommend this tuning again? Or would a lil higher still yield good lows but a lil more spl up top?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Jeremiah25

10+ year member
Team Budweiser
Jeremiah25
Springfield, MO
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date