Audio wire hooked into BCM bus line? Problem?

Participant count
  • Participant list

john.mulvehill
10+ year member

Hello,

I had a car audio shop hook the orange audio wire into the green body control module data bus line wire. I have a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT. My car was fine for 2 years while running a 550 watt RMS amplifier. I recently upgraded to a JL 1000/1 1,000 watt amp and I had an issue where all the warning lights went on on my dash. The dealership ended up charging me $400 to diagnose the problem which turned out to be just resetting the ECM. However, they wouldn't warranty the service on the car due to the fact that there was an audio wire hooked to the BCM. I went back to the audio shop and tried to get compensation in the amount of $400 for their installer hooking up my audio wire to the BCM.

However, the audio shop is claiming that the orange wire hooked into the BCM shouldn't cause any issue. My theory is that higher amperage draw of the JL 1000/1 screwed with the other car systems interfacing with the BCM and it wasn't an issue with the lower powered amplifier that I used to run. Is the audio shop responsible here? Is it a huge no no to tap the audio wire into the data bus line of a Body Control Module? Do I have any recourse to come back at the dealership?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I got screwed.

it should never be tapped there. there are plenty other places to tap into like the ignition wire going to the head unit or just a fuse in the fuse box. so to answer your question yes they are liable they caused the problem but i dont think bringing them to court will help as when they tell the judge it shouldn't hurt the car he/she is going to look at you like you're an idiot. if you do plan to proceed with the suit get the dealership to back you on the wire will cause problems otherwise you're as good as screwed

that's what i would suspect also, why would anyone tie into a bcm wire for a turn on? if that is the case then yes the shop should be liable. there are many different ways to get this to work in a Chevy. there are RAP wire in the distro box on the floor and the brake has a true acc wire on it also. al u need is a relay if you don't want to go to the ign harness

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

john.mulvehill

10+ year member
john.mulvehill
Philadelphia, PA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from