Audio Battery Power

Participant count
  • Participant list
If your amps are pushing out 2500w, then you divide by your amp's efficiency to get your amp's draw.
Generally it's about 80%, but you can usually find out what it is.

2500w/ .8 = 3125 watt draw to push out 2500w.

2500w / batt voltage, 14.4 when running (2500/14.4) = 217 amp draw, for just the amps.

Add that to what your vehicle uses. Some smaller vehicles with small starters and small batteries, that total of about 300 amps might be too much. 300 amps should be good enough on one battery, as long as you don't have some small battery (like on budget imports).

A battery is a storage bank. If you listen to your stereo with the engine off for extended periods of time, then you might need/want an extra battery.

IMO, a HOA is better for what you've got. An alt recharges the battery. If you have 217 amp draw on the amplifiers, then that's when it's at full volume, when the bass is hitting. Between that you are drawing less and recharging.
If your factory alt is 120 amps, then that's when you have your AC on, electric fans on, headlights on, taillights on, blinkers on, (factory) stereo on, cig lighter... It's what your full vehicle draw is plus a little extra room.

Plan your alternator for whatever you MIGHT want to do. If you might add a few hundred watts somewhere, then plan the electrical for that, so you aren't spending a lot again, for a little more. It's all slightly relative to each vehicle, each stereo, each person, but this should give you the idea. With what you have posted, low 200 would be tight, and probably work. 250 would be what I would be looking for. If that's all you would ever need, 300 would be overkill, but it doesn't hurt, it guarantees, just costs a little more, and leaves you room for more.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...