At wits end here. Need help with tweeter issue. Please help.

Participant count
  • Participant list

srpntmage

I installed a set of Polk DB6501 components a few months back in my 370z. They are amplified by a Polk PA 330 channel amp at about 75wx2. I am running a JVC KW-R900BT head unit.

Ever since install, certain songs have very nasty, harsh sounding highs. Almost crackling or static filled. It seems to only be at a certain frequency. Some songs, it isn't present at all.

I usually listen to music from my Zune, Spotify via my phones bluetooth or CD. It seems to happen more often on my phone or Zune, but have heard it on certain CDs with MP3s on them.

I am running the speakers through the passive crossover that came with the set, at -3db highs.

I have tried to adjust gain and bass boost on the amp. Loudness, EQ, time allignment etc... on the head unit. Still the crunchy frequency...

I am going to be installing a new amp (JL 500/3) this week, so maybe that will help? Please anyone have any ideas. I don't get what is wrong.

i've been told that is just the nature of those polk tweeters. i have the same ones in my car and they crackle at times, no matter what that passive crossover is set at. i've adjusted the amp, headunit and crossover and no luck..

So the only way to fix this is get new speakers? That is disappointing. I had heard good things about these Polks. Sad thing is some songs sound perfectly fine. Some sound horrible all the way through, and I am not being picky. Anyone else have this problem with these speakers?

If I upgrade, any suggestions for under $200? I was looking at Polk MM6501s, but after the problem with these....

yea, i spoke with a rep at polk a few months back and they suggested just ordering new tweeters from the MM line. why the F they would sell a product that has this issue is beyond me. dont get me wrong, i love the speakers, just not the tweeter part.

ok, I'll hand it to Polk. Their customer service is the best I have ever experienced. I called them up, told them the problem and and they offered to send me new crossovers and new tweeters, without any questions, warranty issues, no shipping costs... nothing. He seemed surprised that I was having the issue. Guess I will try to swap them out and see what happens.

He did mention that swapping out the tweeters for the MM line wouldn't work with the DB crossover, as they are set to a different load (4ohm vs. 2.8).

??? dang, they deff didnt offer that to me. hope the new set helps, im calling now to get mine replaced! lol

-spoke to the same guy you talked to, just asked for the serial number and im good to go.

Try reversing polarity on the tweeters (both)

harshness can be caused by phase interference. phase is relative based on path length and reflections.

the other thing it could be is simply aiming/location.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.