At a crossroads. What would you do?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ruthless Pastor
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I never really was thrilled with the staging of my system. Then I blew out the sub and comp set so I have many options at this point. I sent the TC-1000 back to be reconed so that is set. Here's where the options come in.

The Denonford is a fine deck, but unless I go active I'll never get great SQ. I've considered getting a 9887 because that would be less expensive than a good dsp w/ eq's & I don't have the knowledge to go active properly; it seems the 9887 would be easier to set up.

Re. speakers, I've considered getting some tweets & mids from Parts Express that have close to the same specs the Type X's did before they toasted so I can use the crossovers. I've also considered getting these: Amazon.com: MB Quart Premium PVI216 6.5" 2-Way Component/Convertible Coaxial…. I know MB Quart isn't what they used to be but these seem to get some decent reviews.

So here are a couple of questions:

1.) Go active or get the 9887? Yes I know Imprint may be essential to get also.

2.) Separate tweets & mids or get a comp set?

3.) Will I still need to use the comp set crossover with either set up?

Thx a head of time for your input.

You can get slightly older active decks for dirt cheap like 100-150 bucks. I got a 9855 and an 860mp for under 150 each. Everyone here busts a nut for those 9887s but I havent played with them too much, if you did get it you may as well get the imprint.

Its up to you if you want to make your own comp set or buy one, but I would suggest doing some research, either way its your pref.

I think you can also do better on comps for the money.

I would suggest doing some research, either way its your pref.
I think you can also do better on comps for the money.
Actually I did quite a bit of research before posting and it's ongoing. I was leary of the MB comps & would rather go another direction, as in matching up tweets & mids. I think at this point I will go active at the HU and now can start looking at specifics.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Ruthless Pastor

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
Ruthless Pastor
Central NY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date