Are the new alpine head units gonna replace the 9855?

or the 7909
True. But what gets me the most about the new Alpines is that they're being given up on before they've even been tried. The 9861 looks like a GREAT head unit. I know it doesn't have an internal 3 way crossover but I've always gone with outboard crossovers anyway even if my deck (Pioneer DEH-P860) had a 3 way xover.

The 9861 also plays DVD-Audio which is a major + for this deck. And for those really serious about SQ you have an "optical digital output" for use with a 701 which would have MORE tuning capabilities you can shake a stick at.

CDA-9857 and CDA-9856, respectively.. Now, are these equivalent to the 2005 models? Hell no.. Sometimes newer isn't always better.. I'll admit they do have some cool features, but also some cool features have been taken away.. Alpine goes further down hill every year.. I don't know who's in charge of marketing/development over there, but I think it's time for a change since they are likely to lose loyal customers.. And this is coming from a VERY loyal (and somewhat happy) Alpine fanboi..
Top 3 Alpine HU's IMO: CDA-7998, CDA-9835, CDA-9855, in that order.. So far the 2006 lineup doesn't look too promising (the DVA-9865 seems great, but what's with the price??), and I'm happy with my 9855 for now.. Hopefully Alpine will smarten up for 2007 since I think I'm set until then..

Those models are even without time correction....this is no replacement for me.

As I've said, here in Europe 9855 stays top model: http://www.alpine-europe.com/content/english/k353.Head-units.htm

How about in USA, last year models will no longer be avaliable?

Those models are even without time correction....this is no replacement for me.
As I've said, here in Europe 9855 stays top model: http://www.alpine-europe.com/content/english/k353.Head-units.htm

How about in USA, last year models will no longer be avaliable?
How is the 9855 the top model over there?? By the link you gave it seems the 9860R and 9965R are the top models. I know they're DVD players but they do also play CDs as well. And they BOTH come with optical outputs, if that doesn't make them superior then I don't know what does.

How is the 9855 the top model over there?? By the link you gave it seems the 9860R and 9965R are the top models. I know they're DVD players but they do also play CDs as well. And they BOTH come with optical outputs, if that doesn't make them superior then I don't know what does.

Yes, but I didn't meant DVD players...this topic is about replacement of 9855.

Simple fact of the matter is that the internal processing does NOT translate into sales here in the US...if it did, Eclipse would be in much better shape than they are. 99% of the market could give a rat's ass about Bass Engine Pro here in the US. The head sales guy at Tweeter was **** pleased that he could sell a Biolite 9857 for $350 rather than a $450 9855 as customers just didn't use B.E.P.

Yes, but I didn't meant DVD players...this topic is about replacement of 9855.
I see what you're saying but a headunit is a headunit regardless of what its capable of. Look at the MSRP on the 9860....its only a $150 more than the 9857 and it does soooooooo much more. Sure you'd have to spend some more money on a H701 processor but if someone is VERY MUCH into SQ then that would be what they wanted to do anyway. Then there is the 9861 which plays DVD-Audio.

But hey, to each his own. I do understand what you're saying though that there is NO cd player only that does what the 9855 did. But on the other hand Alpine is offereing alot more HIGH-END sound solutions though but they cost a little more.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally Posted by AyrtonI really want a IVA-W200, but I am still pissed it is such a weak head unit. Thankfully I have a 700 processor, but Alpine really screwed the pooch on the W200 for those that don't have a 700/701.
are you saying that the w200 has no equalizer built into it?...or just that it does not have much power in the built in amplifier?...im waiting for this unit to come out and i was planning on replacing my jensen 9020 double din with this one....the jensen has absolutely no equalizer

does anybody know if the w200 will play other files, such as an mpeg4 or avi?...my jensen does, but i know the d310 does not.

I have to agree with Chadillac. As much as we enthusiasts wish to see featured packed head units in the $500-700range, there isn't much a market for it. I've seen the decline of truly good Alpine H/U's from the 1990's but I've also seen Alpine grow to a giant car audio powerhouse. Gotta hand it to their business sense, they see market trends and even steer it as well. Hopefully, mfgs. such as Eclipse won't follow these trends too much. Otherwise we enthusiasts will all lament in five years.

Back on the topic of 2006 Alpine head units, I agree with Adam that the the DVA-9861 might be good unit due to it's DVD-Audio support. But unfortunately it does not have the spectacular BioLite display nor useful Bass Engine Pro.

And am I the only one that notices this, but do you all see that all 2006 single DIN units (with the exception of the 2005 holdover DVA-9665) no longer have the motorized "Swingface" faceplate. They are all manual drop down faceplates. What a shame.

I have to agree with Chadillac. As much as we enthusiasts wish to see featured packed head units in the $500-700range, there isn't much a market for it. I've seen the decline of truly good Alpine H/U's from the 1990's but I've also seen Alpine grow to a giant car audio powerhouse. Gotta hand it to their business sense, they see market trends and even steer it as well. Hopefully, mfgs. such as Eclipse won't follow these trends too much. Otherwise we enthusiasts will all lament in five years.
Back on the topic of 2006 Alpine head units, I agree with Adam that the the DVA-9861 might be good unit due to it's DVD-Audio support. But unfortunately it does not have the spectacular BioLite display nor useful Bass Engine Pro.

And am I the only one that notices this, but do you all see that all 2006 single DIN units (with the exception of the 2005 holdover DVA-9665) no longer have the motorized "Swingface" faceplate. They are all manual drop down faceplates. What a shame.
Yes, such a shame. I wonder who will buy those decks:rolleyes:

Alpine's 2006 line up is the worst it has ever been, and this is coming from an Alpine fan. Find yourself a nice 9835 and call it a day.
loving mine. got a replacement faceplate waiting just incase and a five year warranty, which im sure i wasted money on.
it wont be able to be pried out of my cold dead hands //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

and if u do, i will haunt you... all your installs will have noise... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif lol

Alpine goes in waves, they decline in quality for about a 4 year period, and then the 5th year they rock again! Then they decline again. the 9835 and 9855 were the peak, now they go south until about 2009-2010 hahaha. Stupid alpine. As for the onboard processing, the onboard crossover / time alignment has been AWSOME. I used to spend tons of cash on gear that would do it for me but to have it built into a deck was insane!

Yes, such a shame. I wonder who will buy those decks:rolleyes:
Keep wondering DW. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

It's a shame for those who know better, but certainly Alpine will sell numerous qtys. to the mass market -- as they do every year.

Alpine goes in waves, they decline in quality for about a 4 year period, and then the 5th year they rock again! Then they decline again...
That's a pretty good observation and I think you're right with that trend in the last 15 yrs...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.