are single cages universal fit

Participant count
  • Participant list
All single din cages will work with one another. its just usually each brand has a different style of locking. so... you could swap a pioneer with another pioneer usually. and a kenwood would fit in the cage. it just wouldnt lock in.

Most single-din HU's will fit in other single-din cages, but the locking tabs are different w/ different brands. JVC cages have a nutty lock though.

Why would you want to swap cages?

Does your current HU not have a cage and you are looking for one to use?

If so, What vehicle are you looking to install the HU into? Many Metra dash kits offer both Din and ISO mount hardware. If you can use the Metra ISO-brackets to install an HU w/ no Din-cage, you will be fine.

The Eclipse cages are funky as well. They have HU brackets that bolt directly to the sides. Those brackets also hold the tabs for the trim ring and a locking mechanism for the HU to lock into the cage. Then the trim ring slips over the tabs and it all fits together like a puzzle.

fit yes lock no
there i made myself more clear...
This^^^

I have LOL'd a quite a few shade-tree installed I see show up here at the shop for me to fix.

About 2 weeks ago I saw an Alpine HU in a Pioneer cage show up. I was installing amp/subs, pulled the HU to run RCA/rem....the HU was in the cage and the cage/HU was wrapped w/ duct-tape to hold it in place. I asked the owner if he noticed the HU getting hot, him = "yea, sometimes when I eject CD's they are so hot I was afraid they were gonna melt"...lol. It was a GM truck and I offered him a new dash kit w/ ISO mounts so that the HU would not have 5 layers of tape around it and cool properly. He said 'well its been working for over a year, I'll just replace it when it goes out".

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.