Arc vs IDQ subs, 10 vs 12

Participant count
  • Participant list

rovertnamrod
10+ year member

florida
i am considering buying an image dynamics idq10d2v3 or idq12d2v3. would the 10" or 12" be better? their specs say that the 10" has a lower Fs than the 12". does that mean the 10" will hit lower notes better?

also, how is the Arc10D2 or Arc12D2 compared to the IDQ10 and IDQ12 subs. is it true that they are the same sub but with more xmax and better low end? i might be wrong in my assumptions and am just posting this thread asking for clarification and recommendation for the best sq setup out of these options.

I think it's a well known fact that Arc Arc10/12 subwoofers are an improved version of IDQ v2. The IDQ v2 has something like 12mm xmax. The Arc10/12 have slightly higher xmax and power handling. On the other hand, the IDQv3 is quite different from IDQv2. v3 has much higher xmax and power handling. IDQv3 has at least one admirable klippel test, and many good user reviews. However, some people who heard both prefer IDQv2, so by translation, they probably would have preferred the Arc10/12 to IDQ v3.

anybody know why the IDQ10 has a lower Fs than the IDQ12?

are the new Arc subs still the same as their older ones? (are they still modeled after the IDQ v2, or are they now modeled after the IDQ v3?)

why do people prefer IDQ v2 over v3?

anybody know why the IDQ10 has a lower Fs than the IDQ12?
are the new Arc subs still the same as their older ones? (are they still modeled after the IDQ v2, or are they now modeled after the IDQ v3?)

why do people prefer IDQ v2 over v3?

can anyone answer these questions and would you suggest a new Arc sub or a IDQ v3 and why?

It seems like both are probably good. At this point, what I would recommend is to decide what kind of box you want, the box type (sealed or ported) and its external dimension. Enter the T/S parameters into WinISD alpha, play with box parameters and see which one works best for the box you have in mind. Getting the box right is more important for SQ than minor differences between two good subs. Look for lowest F3 and box qtc (for sealed box). Also try to see what the prices are at the dealers etc. The normal price on IDQv3 and Arc is around $250 online. Sometimes there are sales where you can get them under $200.

basically, i want the punchiest, tightest bass, so i am gonna go for a sealed box. i don't know much about boxes though but i can get a IDQ12v3 for $179 shipped or i can get an Arc12D2 for $140 shipped. people have told me the Arc is like the old IDQ v2's and that the v2's sound better than the new v3's. but why do people like v2 over v3 and how does the v3 compare to the new Arc subs? (Arc v3).

I think it's a well known fact that Arc Arc10/12 subwoofers are an improved version of IDQ v2. The IDQ v2 has something like 12mm xmax. The Arc10/12 have slightly higher xmax and power handling. On the other hand, the IDQv3 is quite different from IDQv2. v3 has much higher xmax and power handling. IDQv3 has at least one admirable klippel test, and many good user reviews. However, some people who heard both prefer IDQv2, so by translation, they probably would have preferred the Arc10/12 to IDQ v3.
The Arc 10's and 12's are equivalent to the ID10D2 or ID10D4's. Same TSP's and all. As a matter of fact I think ID OEM'd them for Arc right along with the Tidal Audio woofers. The IDQ's are a superior driver.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.