Arc Audio X2 12 sub - Looking for more

Participant count
  • Participant list

nags
10+ year member

Just put installed an Arc X2 12 in my truck that's being powered by an Arc X2 850.5. Sounds decent but I'm really looking for more. Would I benefit from swapping to an amp for just the sub or am I better off looking at a whole new setup for amp/sub?

Amp:

Sub:

Thanks

Do you have this sub sealed or ported ? Regardless your running a 250RMS sub so it's not like your going to get a ton of output (I'm assuming thats what you mean by "looking for more").

Your amp only outputs 400RMS @2ohms (225 @4 ohms) to the sub channel so upgrading to a higher RMS sub won't help much.

Do you have this sub sealed or ported ? Regardless your running a 250RMS sub so it's not like your going to get a ton of output (I'm assuming thats what you mean by "looking for more").

Your amp only outputs 400RMS @2ohms (225 @4 ohms) to the sub channel so upgrading to a higher RMS sub won't help much.

It's in a custom made ported box by TaylorsAudio.com. And I was more wondering about upgrading to a higher RMS amp than a sub but it sounds like that'd leave me in the same boat. Sounds like I most likely need a new sub and amp.

Isn't that a bit much for a sub rated at 250rms?
Set the gains properly and don't overpush the subwoofer. You should be able to gauge the limits of the driver since it's inside your truck cabin. If you decide to upgrade your subwoofer later (everyone does this eventually) you'll already have a stout amplifier to push it. keep the 5 channel to power your front stage.

Set the gains properly and don't overpush the subwoofer. You should be able to gauge the limits of the driver since it's inside your truck cabin. If you decide to upgrade your subwoofer later (everyone does this eventually) you'll already have a stout amplifier to push it. keep the 5 channel to power your front stage.

Got it. I'll have to start looking for an amp. Was thinking the JL XD1000. Any thoughts? Thinking I may end up with that an a 12w6 but definitely open to suggestions.

Currently my amp is powering 6.5 Hertz comps up front and 6x9 Hertz coax's in the back.

It's in a custom made ported box by TaylorsAudio.com. And I was more wondering about upgrading to a higher RMS amp than a sub but it sounds like that'd leave me in the same boat. Sounds like I most likely need a new sub and amp.
Do you have a link or specs for the box ? I went on TaylorsAudio website and all the single sub boxes where either sealed or required shallow mount subs (that could present a 3rd problem)

Do you have a link or specs for the box ? I went on TaylorsAudio website and all the single sub boxes where either sealed or required shallow mount subs (that could present a 3rd problem)

It was custom made by them for my truck with the specs of the sub and everything but I'm not sure of the exact specs. He's big in the Tundra world. Tons of people get their setups from them.

It was custom made by them for my truck with the specs of the sub and everything but I'm not sure of the exact specs. He's big in the Tundra world. Tons of people get their setups from them.
You would have to contact him because he's the only one who will know how many cubic feet you have, what the port is tuned too (hz), and mounting depth. All 3 of those things will impact what sub works best with that specific enclosure (I would ask him for all 3 of those things along with what subs he recommends for the enclosure if you want the next step up)

You would have to contact him because he's the only one who will know how many cubic feet you have, what the port is tuned too (hz), and mounting depth. All 3 of those things will impact what sub works best with that specific enclosure (I would ask him for all 3 of those things along with what subs he recommends for the enclosure if you want the next step up)

Got it. I'll contact him now and get back to you. Thanks

So he said it's tuned to 34hz and the mounting depth is 6 inches. The box itself is 40x14x8. Also said this IS the sub he recommends being that he custom made it for me and this specific sub.

Last edited:
So he said it's tuned to 34hz and the mounting depth is 6 inches. The box itself is 40x14x8. Also said this IS the sub he recommends being that he custom made it for me and this specific sub.
If that's the case then you might have to start completely over. New box, new sub, and monoblock amp

If that's the case then you might have to start completely over. New box, new sub, and monoblock amp

I'm not against that. Any suggestions? I keep going back to possibly a JL 12w6 in their HO box (I believe it'll be a perfect fit), or a 12w7 in a custom box, with a JL XD1000 amp.

Or maybe go with the JL 1000/5 to power everything? Get a little bump in power to my comps and have more power for a sub? Or would that not be enough to power a 12w6?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...