AQ1200d Question...

Participant count
  • Participant list

matt_bennett05
10+ year member

mattchoo!
Ok here's the deal... just got the amp for my buddy so he could mount it in a hidden location. All pure ofc (Cadence) 4 ga, 12 ga Knu ofc speaker wire. Newer Pioneer headunit (no pico problem), prefab (know it ***** but it's what he wanted), and these subs ( Buy Logic SoundLab MDX12 12 Inch Double Stacked Magnet Subwoofer for $69.95 )

Now... going from a Kicker ZR600 amp (wired @ 4 ohms) to the AQ1200d (wired @ 1 ohm) the output has easily been cut in half.

The AQ is crossed over @ ~65-70 hz, subsonic filter set @ 20hz, ~1/2 gain, and some boost (not clipping)

What's the problem here?

Make sure the wiring is right. It should have quite a bit more output. I make stupid wiring mistakes all the time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Go wiggle it. I can't tell you how many people come up to the shop with messed up stuff and they think their ground is ok. Most of the time it winds up being their ground.

Will double check that... What gets me is how the old ZR600 rated (even though under rated) @ 600 rms has twice the output as the 1.2k... I hope I'm wrong on this. Plus I want him to be happy with the AQ so I can get the ZR for my next beater install... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Don't yell at me for stayin something stupid.. If u changed amps etc u most likely disconnected your negative on battery and chained your settings on your headunit? Also if your not clipping then u might need more juice?

The gains on the older amps are more sensitive because there were not many high voltage HU's out there. 2.2V was pretty commonly used as the low end on the gain. The AQ gain likely has 5V or higher as the low end for the gain. So with the gain turned all the way down it's going to take less voltage to reach the maximum output of the older amp.

So depending on the HU you're using, and where you set the gain on the Kicker, you may have been driving that amp very hard and not pushing the AQ nearly as hard.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.