Anyone with experience with 96-01 Pathfinders??

Participant count
  • Participant list

Roswellien
10+ year member

Hey all, looking for someone with experience with 96-00 Nissan Pathfinders. I would like to replace the stock tweets with a new set but would like to venture forth with advice for my specific vehicle if at all possible. Would be the last stage of a complete system overhaul.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Can we get more info in what you want to do? Are your Polk's just woofers or a coax? If it is a coax why do you think you need more tweeters?

OK After digging around a little it seems you say you re happy with how the speakers sound with your amp. So again why do you think you need to add a tweeter?

You say your tweeter in in the A pillar. If that is the case you just remove the plastic part and the tweeter is on a little metal bracket that is clipped into the metal and is easy to remove. I see you are driving the stock tweeter with your radio and I can not recall if the stock system even used a crossover or if it was just roll off of the speaker. Either way I am not a fan of tweeters up high in most cases. Tweeters do not play much data compared to the mid which most think odd as the tweeter is made to play a much larger frequency band.

Sorry if that was a rant but I just can not get over peoples ludicrous wanting to add lots of tweeters.

My polks are indeed COAX System. I like the staging (raising the stage up out of the doors) the tweeters in the pillars give but the overall sound quality of the stock tweeters are marginal at best. I would without out a doubt not be looking to over power the MOMO's merely help raise the sound up in the cab of the vehicle.

Ive attempted to remove just the grill covering the tweeters but it appears to be solidly connected to the pillar itself, meaning I need to remove the pillar. Problem is I can't find a way to remove the pillar without removing the top portion of the dash which is exactly what I am looking to avoid if at all possible. In the end I may just end up disconnecting the tweets and living with it.

It has been a long time since I work on one of those but I can not recall having to remove the dash. Yes you have to remove the whole pillar. You can fix the stage correctly by positioning your coax in a better manor. This may be simple or may require a custom door panel as it depends on what you can live with. I think adding another tweeter to try and fix the real issue is like putting a band-aid on a gun shot wound. It really is not the correct way to do it and get the proper results as you will now just be fighting the tweeter on the coax. If proper imaging is just out of the picture I would suggest getting a component set and dumping the coax.

A component set would indeed be my preferred fix to the situation, and may be a possibility. Budget is extremely tight though so I will probably have to live with it for quite some time. A new camera comes first. But thanks for the info that the pillar is indeed somehow removable without removing the top portion of the dash. I may also just disconnect the stock tweets and see how much the sound stage drops as is, I may be surprised.

In your experience do you remember the mounting size for the tweeters in said pillar?

I want to say the stock tweeters were a .75". If funds are tight I would just leave it alone and save up to get what you really want. It always works out cheaper that way in the long run.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.