Anyone use Solar Panels?

ameuba10
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
i just thought that the use of a solar panel will keep our 12v batteries topped off. but for a large system as some that i have seen on here im not sure if itll help much. but i have a semi-small system drawing 800w from a 300/2 and a 500/1 jl audio amplifiers. my prediction is that the solar panel will help aid in the voltage loss. not necessarily stop the headlight dimming in heavy bass. anyone have any input or predictions?

Wow, I was just thinking about this earlier this morning. Just to make sure I am thinking the same thing, your talking about using solar panels to trickle charge your battery/ies while you are not driving right? Like using the solar panels to trickle charge your batteries so that they stay relatively topped off at all times. I'm not sure how you would wire it or what kind of equipment and costs it would take but its for sure an interesting idea. I'll keep watching this thread to hear what others have to say.

i had this idea in mind for over a year now lol

it started off as joke where i was thinking of how to run a decent system in a smart car lol

i've seen several shows on discovery channel about the application of solar energy

just dont know how to wire it in a car:(

it would be great if we could simply plug in a 12v outlet tho hehe

well to trickle charge, its only light half the time, and when it is they are driving so it isnt going to do anything, for driving and trying for some extra juice they are not cost effective

http://www.solarhome.org/kyocerakd205gx205wattsolarpanel.aspx

205 watt panel, $1100, and you might pick up 15amps, plus its probably the size of your hood, picking up that little bit of extra power is way easier through other means. Also if your car is draining the battery or getting weaker over night you have problems, you need to check your IOD (ignition off draw)

If you are still worried about it then this is an easier solution, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93258

I have one on my car for the winter and also use them on my daughter's power wheels

They sell a small 12v solar panel at Harbor Freight for like $30 or something, it plugs into your ciggarette lighter.

My buddy used it for a few months and never saw a difference in voltage or battery competance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.