Anyone Use Electric Grease?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Phased Out

NY
I'm going to be running speaker wire soon. Since I ordered OFC copper, I was able to also order copper quick disconnects for the speaker terminals and shrink tube to keep everything covered. For the exposed part of the connection I was thinking about an electric grease like NO-OX-ID to keep the exposed copper from corroding over time. Anyone know if this is a good idea? Or will this disrupt the current?

I'm going to be running speaker wire soon. Since I ordered OFC copper, I was able to also order copper quick disconnects for the speaker terminals and shrink tube to keep everything covered. For the exposed part of the connection I was thinking about an electric grease like NO-OX-ID to keep the exposed copper from corroding over time. Anyone know if this is a good idea? Or will this disrupt the current?
DX Engineering Penetrox A Anti-Oxidants DXE-P8A - Free Shipping on Most Orders Over $99 at DX Engineering

best stuff on the market

Most people use hardware store crimps and call it good, lol
I hear ya, but since I made sure to go with all OFC Copper and have a bunch if crimps that came in a tool kit, that look like the impedance is 15-25 ohms, you know the not shiny mystery metal stuff that they put in cheap kits, so I decided to do copper crimps. After all the $$$ I already spent I figures another $20-30 is worth it. I noticed copper home theatre speaker wires, inside the house, oxidize after a few years, so I'm guessing that copper disconnects in the trunk will oxidize. Just looking for opinions to see if this is hype or if people really use the stuff.

Gotcha. I wouldn't worry about it, but it won't hurt for you to do it. It'll just cost you more money, that I think is unnecessary. Ultimately it's up to you

I hear ya, but since I made sure to go with all OFC Copper and have a bunch if crimps that came in a tool kit, that look like the impedance is 15-25 ohms, you know the not shiny mystery metal stuff that they put in cheap kits, so I decided to do copper crimps. After all the $$$ I already spent I figures another $20-30 is worth it. I noticed copper home theatre speaker wires, inside the house, oxidize after a few years, so I'm guessing that copper disconnects in the trunk will oxidize. Just looking for opinions to see if this is hype or if people really use the stuff.
your a smart cookie.. Ive done electrical and the industry uses penetrox. the stuff i linked you. its worth it..

Ahh just don't use dielectric grease... It's non conductive and is a mistake of mine on my ground wires... Ended up acting like loose connection amp got hot hot popped the magic smoke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends on how many connections you have but yea that should do it.. apply it all over like you lubing up a big girl.. lol
LoL! Its only 6 speakers, so 12 connectors, but, hmmmmmm......... Maybe I'll need 8 oz.........//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.