Anyone run wires under the car?

maylar
10+ year member

Electrical Weenie
Connecticut
I'm trying to run a measley 8 gage power wire to my trunk. For the life of me I can't find a spot in the firewall to pull a power wire through. Anywhere I could reach with a drill wasn't reachable from the engine compartment. And double wall steel ain't fun to drill. And it wouldn't fit under the carpet anyway.

I'm seriously considering running the power cable underneath the car and comming up through the floorboard in the rear. The thought makes me cringe (can you say, "ghetto"?) but I want to get this project over and done with. Has anybody done that with a clear conscience?

I'm getting too old for this sh1t.

I have done it, and just did it with 2/0.. what car are you trying to run the 8 gauge in? Normally not much of any problem with that size wire.

I drilled through double wall steel in my Jeep with a drill that had a 15 year old, pretty much dead battery. Man up. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

you can always cut through the steering column boot to run wire.

also, for those who do choose to run wire under the car, go with Alflex/Southwire flexible conduit for protection.

Lowes is a retailer for such product.

The company manufactures larger diameter that Lowes doesn't sell for multi cable runs.. but it's $$$

It's cheaper to run conduit per cable.

Thanks, guys. My car is a Buick Park Avenue with all the fancy climate controls and electronic goodies. Under the dash is a nightmare. I actually had to take a Dremmel to the under side just to snake one RCA cable to the floor. From under the hood I can't even see where the wiring harness passes through the firewall. And the interior wiring passes through plastic channels that would require removing the front seat to access. I was lucky just to get an RCA under the carpet.

I will definitely check out the flexible conduit. Thanks again.

I just personally just done a 99 park avenue about 2 weeks ago and i ran 4 guage through it. On the same side as the battery right behind your AC lines there is a 3 inch rubber peice in the firwall where another set of wires are ran through. I just cut a small whole at the top of it and rand a coat hanger through it and then went on the inside and attached my wire and pulled it out by the battery.

As long as you run it correctly, running outside the cabin is perfectly fine. Keep it away from moving parts, hot items, and sharp edges.

Personally I don't think 8ga would be an issue to run anywhere in the cabin.

check out my build thread over in the build log section for pics of what a buick's interior looks like completely gutted. I'm fairly certain you should be able to run 8 gauge somewhere in there.

With 1/0 it is a serious consideration. Just use your common sense and you'll be fine. Protect/secure it, route it away from heat/moving parts, and use grommets, etc. I've seen plenty of tight firewalls, you should be able to get 8ga. in somewhere, under the carpet should be even less of a problem.

i ran 1/0 under me truck for a year now with no protection to it and is perfectly fine. just route it correct and u will be fine

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.