Anyone heard, seen, own Niche Audio Subs???

spuninsocal
10+ year member

Legalize Freedom
They are made by small compony in arizona, and the shop out in Whittier, CA that I usually go to is trying to push the 12" competition series on me. None in store, they'd have to be ordered so I just want some firsthand experience, if there is any. The componys website is www.nicheaudiousa.com

The subs look pretty clean, but who knows....

Yeah i started a thread a while back, and no one has ever heard of them... Their high end models subs look clean, and sturday.. they could be ****, but hey who knows they could be the next RE, or Adire Audio, where no one knows of them, but then BLAM they knock down all the competition...

YAY!! I made it into another sig //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Anyways, did they tell you what their pricing was?? Obviously price isn't too much of an indicator of performance, but I'm curious as to what they run (retail)

YAY!! I made it into another sig //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Anyways, did they tell you what their pricing was?? Obviously price isn't too much of an indicator of performance, but I'm curious as to what they run (retail)
I believe he said that the 12" Compitetion subs were around $250-$300. Give or take. I actually got to hear the Titanium series 10's today. It was 3 10's in a custom ported inclosure built into the trunk of a new Altiima. They sounded clean, but its hard to say because they were runnin off a total swapmeet status Performance Teknique Amp. Subs looked bad ass though, the surrounds are MASSIVE. It was the shop owner's ride. I woulda hooked myself up a little cleaner on the amp.if i was in his shoes. He said that the high end subs have extrordinary SQ. Im thinking of just taking the chance and ordering 2 12's in a few weeks. Id need a 1ohm stable 1000watt mono amp I believe. They handle 500 watts RMS a piece with dual 4ohm vc's. You obviously might not be able to tell, but would those perform best in a sealed or in a ported enclosure?

Yeah i started a thread a while back, and no one has ever heard of them... Their high end models subs look clean, and sturday.. they could be ****, but hey who knows they could be the next RE, or Adire Audio, where no one knows of them, but then BLAM they knock down all the competition...
Where did you see the Niche Subs At???

they seem like they would be like a pyle, pyramid type sub, because all they seem to mention is the details about the chrome and ****

but their top series has dual 3" coils

The site doesn't give enough information to tell. If you could get ahold of the T/S params, then we could help you
Yeah, like I said I heard the horribly powered 3 10" titanium series setup. I didn't care for the sound at all. But it most likely had nothing to do with the subs. I still don't understand why the owner of a stereo shop with a custom ported box installed in the trunk with amp racks built onto them, with crazy Plexiglas and ambient blue lighting would pull the cheapest amp off his shelf to power his (what should be) showcase system. Anyways, I also can't stand ported enclosures. They just sound to sloppy and boomy to me. It also seems like the Niche subs are pretty overpriced, considering their fairly low recommended RMS power rating. I might try out directed audio or a related brand. Orion or A/D/S? I believe. Looking at spending like $500 on front components and throwing Xtreme 2-ways in the back to provide at least some rear fill. Does anyone have or know about HLCD setups. Been looking at Image Dynamics horns, there must be something to them to justify like $700. Are they installed like in kickpanels, under the dash? (sounding dumb) basically, What's involved in seting up HLCD's and such.

Does anyone have or know about HLCD setups. Been looking at Image Dynamics horns, there must be something to them to justify like $700. Are they installed like in kickpanels, under the dash? (sounding dumb) basically, What's involved in seting up HLCD's and such.
EDIT: Be prepared, this is long //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Sorry...................

I'm currently running Illusion Audio CH1 Horns (and I also have a pair for sale //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Illusion is no longer in production). And I can honestly that I will never go back to tweeters //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif The Illusions I have a comparable to the ID CD2Comp Pro full body horns.

Horns are installed under the dash, click for Pics, with midbass either in doors or in kicks or where ever. The horns are supposed to be mounted as far back (towards the firewall) and as far outward (towards the sides of the car) as possible.

Horns have several advantages. 1st is the efficiency. The CH1's I have are 106db efficiency, and the ID CD1 and CD2s are both over 105db IIRC. Right now I only have 15w going to each horn, and it's enough to rip your head off //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/satan.gif.9c6a335ed7aeeed3ee273e573f1fcaac.gif

2nd is the controlled dispersion. With normal speakers, you are generally listening to reflections of the sound just as much as you are the actual sound that the speaker is producing. With horns, the sound you are listening to is mainly only the sound coming directly from the horn.

Also, horns are designed in such a way that they work in conjunction with your dash.....the dash basically acts as an extension of the horn body. The sound "rolls up" the dash naturally, making it very, very easy to get proper staging and imaging with minimal work (compared to trying to build kicks for the typical mid/tweet combo and obtaining proper imaging). Right now my horns are only very crappily temporarily mounted, and the staging and imaging is pretty amazing.

Plus horns a lot easier to install and less time consuming than trying to build kicks for a mid/tweet combo. Throwing the horns under the dash and mids in stock door locations can be accomplished in one afternoon.

And most horns will play down to 1200hz (full bodied such as mine can go down to 900-1000hz on a steep slope), which decreases the number of "point sources" in the very important midrange area, again aiding in staging, imaging, tonality, balance, etc etc.

Horns are typically a lot more dynamic and lively (and natural sounding) than tweet/mid combos. And, for lack of a better description, I think my horns just sound a lot more "full" than tweets. But, horns will require EQ'ing....they are generally harsh out of the box. You could get away with a good 7-band Parametric, or if you wanna go all out you could get a 31 band (or dual 31 band such as I have).

I saw you post a few times over on ECA......do some digging and searching over there. A large majority of Team Image Dynamics (almost all of whom run horns), which includes Mic Wallace (mic10is), Jason Winslow (winslow), Jason Ewing (phd-12v) as well as Matt Borgardt himself (goes by Image Dynamics Tech on ECA) are over there. And that doesn't include all the other great IASCA competitors and world champions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

BTW, enclosure is spelled with an "e", not an "i" (post #6 in this thread).....but I'll let it slide this time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif J/K around with ya //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/toast.gif.bc0657bf54b9ee653b6438524461341e.gif

Are horns considered mids or highs? I have some ******** after market three ways in my doors umamped. Really cant hear them to well. My zr240 has my battery running at 12.1v when I turn the system up to 25. SO I cant run another amp. I really like the way horns sound in my home system. I thought about putting horns in my car. Can I add horns unamped to my set up and have it sound good. I have a kenwood deck 45x4.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.