Anyone have a 5.1 setup and knows how to tune?

Intercooler
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Maryland
Tried elsewhere to see what is being used for settings. When I first put my system in I had everything set to full range but DefTech said set them all to 80 Hz. Interested in what others are running or has sounded the best:

Left Front-

Center-

Right Front-

Right Surround-

Left Surround-

My denon has some auto level measuring thing, I used it but the dialog wasn't loud enough so I redid everything by ear.

I have my speakers crossed over @ 100hz then the sub takes care of the rest.

If it matters I run an Onkyo reciever

my fronts have 5.25" woofers

rears have 4" woofers

center has 4" woofers

I have NEVER had a problem running it like this. Go get a DVD with the THX optomizer on it and run the tests.

also get yourself a "cheaper" db meter to properly set levels, then set distances.

- I couldn't believe the difference this made with my system

- the db meter I have is the Radioshack with the digital readout (think it was $50)

- not dead accurate, but close enough for rough work.

Both of my fronts and center channel are set to small and crossed @ 70 Hz.

My rear speakers are set as small and are crossed @ 100 hz. Subs take over all the rest.

I am running Def Tech BP2002TL's (front), CLR2500 (center), and BPX's as surrounds.

How do you like the BPX's? Did you have anything to compare? I have the BP2X's and wonder if it is worth the upgrade. My 2's don't really seem to put out of a ton of sound but maybe that is just the way surrounds work.

I don't even have surround speakers anymore //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif anyone have some def techs to sell me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif lol

How do you like the BPX's? Did you have anything to compare? I have the BP2X's and wonder if it is worth the upgrade. My 2's don't really seem to put out of a ton of sound but maybe that is just the way surrounds work.
I like them a lot compared to what they replaced. I got them mostly to have matched speakers (all of my channels have the same mids and tweeters) all around for balance and tonality for 5.1 playback. They play well enough that I had to lower the volume levels on the surround channels to level it out.

I have not had a chance to hear the bp2x's. Heard they were nice speakers though.

I like them a lot compared to what they replaced. I got them mostly to have matched speakers (all of my channels have the same mids and tweeters) all around for balance and tonality for 5.1 playback. They play well enough that I had to lower the volume levels on the surround channels to level it out.
I have not had a chance to hear the bp2x's. Heard they were nice speakers though.
I am interested in how you have your settings. Especially the BP's! What was it when they were loud and what did you do to even it out? What Hz settings are you using for all your speakers and have you seen a big difference in things with changes?

I like the AVIA DVD for setting the levels on 5.1 audio using a simple Rat Shack SPL meter.

The AVIA DVD even walks you through using the meter to setup your levels. From what I understand the AVIA II version is coming out the first of the year.

That would be a good investment if you really need the help or want to access some of the other features that the AVIA DVD gives you.

However, if he just wants to calibrate his surround sound a cheap SPL Meter and his standard pink noise generator that is built into most receivers/processors should get him where he needs to be.

I tend to tweak my settings after a calibration anyway...

That would be a good investment if you really need the help or want to access some of the other features that the AVIA DVD gives you.
However, if he just wants to calibrate his surround sound a cheap SPL Meter and his standard pink noise generator that is built into most receivers/processors should get him where he needs to be.

I tend to tweak my settings after a calibration anyway...
True, however the test tones generated from the source is going to give you more accurate results than those generated from a receiver's internal generator. Plus as you mentioned the additional features to the disc make it a good investment. When I use to calibrate CRT front projectors, I could use the projectors internal test patterns, but for the best results I would throw in AVIA and use it's test patterns and achieve video perfection with 0% overscan.

And I agree, I tend to tweak the settings a little after calibrating. Especially depending on the persons center channel and rears used as well as the rear surrounds mounting methods (side, behind, corners, etc...). Most living room setups I always found the rear surrounds placement were dictated by that persons spouse rather than being in an ideal location. This is why I encourage dedicated home theater rooms where the focus is A/V over everything else.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

HT Room or single...

That is the only way to go... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I agree that the audio would be more True from the source, however if he wanted to get buy he could... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.