Any way to salvage this amp after this nightmare?

ccapital83
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NY
Long story short had tint removed thanks to New York’s wonderful new no tint law made the mistake of thinking pulling the fuse and covering the amp would be enough protection and nope shop completely soaked the inside of the trunk literally puddles of water box completely soaked and ruined all the wires were wet and worst of all the amp had water all over it they also used goo gone with the water so now the amp had water and oil on it and my concern is if it got inside the amp I feel like I can never use it again right? Fire hazard is my main concern. Is there anything at all I can do to dry it out? That’s if liquid got inside the internals I’m not sure but I have to assume with the amount inside the trunk all over the box and amp it very likely could have. Apologize for terrible puntucation ? any input help opinions appreciated.

Long story short had tint removed thanks to New York’s wonderful new no tint law made the mistake of thinking pulling the fuse and covering the amp would be enough protection and nope shop completely soaked the inside of the trunk literally puddles of water box completely soaked and ruined all the wires were wet and worst of all the amp had water all over it they also used goo gone with the water so now the amp had water and oil on it and my concern is if it got inside the amp I feel like I can never use it again right? Fire hazard is my main concern. Is there anything at all I can do to dry it out? That’s if liquid got inside the internals I’m not sure but I have to assume with the amount inside the trunk all over the box and amp it very likely could have. Apologize for terrible puntucation ? any input help opinions appreciated.
You might try putting it in some dry rice to absorb the moisture..I fixed a cell phone that fell in a lake that way before

Id be cautious about the rice, or at least look into how to do it properly. I know a million people have used to dry out there cell phones, but think of white sticky rice. Its that sticky substance that can get into the electronics. With cell phones they are near dust proof, but amps certainly aren't. There are better ways to do it.

I would take it to the shop and make them buy u new everything
I wish they broke a door panel door trim sub box and wet the amp and wiring but honestly I shoulda been wiser I can’t believe I didn’t just remove from trunk in first place but live and learn either way their work was a disgusting joke no reason for that also I truly appreciate the rice idea I mean there is no liquid coming out of the amp but just to be safe I’ll submerge it in rice for a week

I wish they broke a door panel door trim sub box and wet the amp and wiring but honestly I shoulda been wiser I can’t believe I didn’t just remove from trunk in first place but live and learn either way their work was a disgusting joke no reason for that also I truly appreciate the rice idea I mean there is no liquid coming out of the amp but just to be safe I’ll submerge it in rice for a week
Its better to open up the amp and have a fan firing directly into it and leaving it there for 12 hours. Rice idea is far inferior by comparison. With the fan, you achieved forced condensation while rice absorptive properties are negligible by comparison.

Also remember that what you see on the internals is not the whole amp, there's a whole underside to that amp that might be filled with water.

A thorough dry-out as Jeff pointed out would be the best idea....remember water can get anywhere/everywhere. It can really do some damage.

Thanks so much for all the responses it’s a Rockford px4001 I tried opening it up it is such a weird casing I can’t get it open it’s like one solid piece don’t want to risk breaking it so I’ll just keep the fan on it for a week or so maybe a hair dryer too. What’s worst case scenario it starts a fire internally ?

The water inside will put it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2VwICmj.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.