Any particular sealant for water pump?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Big GeRm
10+ year member

Das ist ein BEFEHL!!
Tomorrow I am changing out my water pump...I have never had to do one...but is there any preferred sealant you guys use for gaskets? or will that $1.50 bottle I am going to get tomorrow be sufficient?...Also how hard is it to remove and sand the left overs from the old pump around the rim?

I have always used the RED/Orange(high temp) Form a Gasket, and used brake fluid to clean the surface,then rubbing alcohol to get the oil bass out, and it dries quickly too., and use a putty knife to get the old off.If you are doing a frontwheel drive car like a honda, Ive always had it done, and replaced the timing belt at the same time.What kind of vehicle?Ive had to work in computer Clean Rooms,and we always had to use alcohol to get the items clean grease free before entering the Clean Rooms, and they also made us use special Lint free wipes.You want a squeeky clean tile floor,alcohol and hot/warm water will do it,and dries fast.

That should be fine man.That Form A Gasket Sealant is all i have ever used.You will be just fine man.Be sure to catch the leftover antifreeze that will come out of the waterpump if you can.I put the form agasket sealant on the housing, then on the face of the pump, and put the gasket on the pump with the bolts ready to screw in, and bolt her up.It should seal just fine man.I just did my chevy about a month ago, and while I was getting under the hood, i went ahead and replaced the $10 thermostat too.I figured may as well do it all

That should be fine man.That Form A Gasket Sealant is all i have ever used.You will be just fine man.Be sure to catch the leftover antifreeze that will come out of the waterpump if you can.I put the form agasket sealant on the housing, then on the face of the pump, and put the gasket on the pump with the bolts ready to screw in, and bolt her up.It should seal just fine man.I just did my chevy about a month ago, and while I was getting under the hood, i went ahead and replaced the $10 thermostat too.I figured may as well do it all

I am actually going to replace the thermostat as well...that is the whole reason I have to replace the pump :\ lol...and i will drain all the anti freeze out prior to doing the work.

I am actually going to replace the thermostat as well...that is the whole reason I have to replace the pump :\ lol...and i will drain all the anti freeze out prior to doing the work.
Thats the best thing to do.Yet, you will still have some antifreeze left in the pump, and on the backside of the thermo,at the engine block also.So expect it,and be on top of it, not under the vehicle when pulling apart, or youll be drinched..LOL.I had a neighbor that didnt listen to me, and he cam back as i was sitting drinking a cold one, and said ok man..LOL.I offered up a beer and a moment of humiliation.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Well I wont have any issues...I've literally lost so much fluid that I put regular water in it...Obviously it is not the best thing...but it lost fluid so much it never stays long enough to do damage.

If your vehicle continues to run hot, check the rad cap,.I ended up finding out that I had a cracked head.Very small:(,runs great now though..after a top rebuild of $1900.00:santa:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.