Any of you guys seen this? DIY speaker cable..

Wow great prices. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

You will not hear any acoustical difference from scosche, knukonceptz, pheonix gold, memphis, monster, and all the other wiring companies. Even though tests may show the slight difference, your ears wont so I dont see where spending 80 dollars for half a meter of RCAs is justifiable.

they're cat 5 cables though. Would that work? You can get 1000ft of Cat5 cables from computer places for like 50 bux. Plus they come shielded.

it will work. however, the guage of the cat5 cable is small so you will have to use multiple strands like in his tutorial. i've read about people using this as their signal lines. i want to give this a try because that might have more of an audible difference.

I have used this before when installing a normal small FM antenna on my friends attick. We extended the cable with cat5 and ran it all the way to his receiver in his room. Crystal clear reception (as much as you can get with FM)

As for speaker wire, it could work, however every strand is insulated inside, therefor they are not touching each other. I would prefer to use them all at once rather then split the signal.

I have used this before when installing a normal small FM antenna on my friends attick. We extended the cable with cat5 and ran it all the way to his receiver in his room. Crystal clear reception (as much as you can get with FM)
That works because A) it's FM, so your received signal strengths are huge anyway and B) because it's reception, so feedline impedance doesn't matter that much. You basically extended the antenna out with the Cat 5 becoming part of the system...so coax cable wasn't even needed.

OFC wire is OFC wire. The differences between one set of cables and another is the insulation and connecting ends. I bought some KnuKonceptz RCAs last year and was shocked at how poor the connectors were, as they ripped off at the slightest snag. Maybe I just got a bad set, but I won't buy from them again. Considering how cheap you can get good RCAs from a place like partsexpress.com, I see little reason to go DIY unless you just want the experience.

thank you, i think.
lol, my background is in radio moreso than car audio...trust me, I've done all sorts of ghetto-rigged setups //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif like the shortwave receiving setup I have in my dorm now, 75 feet of 30 gauge magnet wire strung out the window onto a rooftop...ah, good times...

they're cat 5 cables though. Would that work? You can get 1000ft of Cat5 cables from computer places for like 50 bux. Plus they come shielded.
Doesn't UTP, stand for Unshielded Twisted Pair...

I know there is a such thing as Shielded Twisted Pair, but all the twisted pair I have seen have been UTP... I buy about 25-30 rolls of it a year..

OFC wire is OFC wire. The differences between one set of cables and another is the insulation and connecting ends. I bought some KnuKonceptz RCAs last year and was shocked at how poor the connectors were, as they ripped off at the slightest snag. Maybe I just got a bad set, but I won't buy from them again. Considering how cheap you can get good RCAs from a place like partsexpress.com, I see little reason to go DIY unless you just want the experience.
Ive had 4 pairs from knukonceptz and all have been perfectly fine with me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.