Antifreeze leak?

Synyster97XLT
10+ year member

Reppin' the 304
I do believe I have one. I have to put a new bottle in my radiator every month or so, and when I was idling in the same spot for like 30 mins, there was a wet spot under my right front fender well. I'm thinking that I just need to check the hoses around that area, but any expert mechanical advice would be appreciated.

1.are you putting a whole gallon of rad fluid in every month but not needing draining any?

2. are you only putting antifreeze in or are you mixing it 50/50 water antifreeze.

3.is the liquid that is on the ground smell like radiator fluid?(it may be water from your a/c condenser)

You could have a leaking water pump. When the internal seals go bad, they leak and you want to replace it before it seizes and tears up your timing belt and you bend valves.

Just take a look at where your water pump is and see if there is a leak. And also check all your hoses. when its running just look for antifreeze leaking out.

The whole blown head gasket thing would be something different. You would have sludge and **** in your radiator from the oil/antifreeze mixing and thats a whole different/WAY more expensive problem

look in your rear view mirror next time your driving and see if you have smoke (preferable white) blowing out the back. if so you got a bad head gasket.
This. If you have a bad head gasket, the coolant can be being pushed out of your reservoir tank. Take a dry cloth, bunch it up, and put it close to the overflow drain on your coolant reservoir. Make sure your coolant is not overfull and drive around. See if the cloth gets wet. If it does, you very well might have a bad head gasket. You might also check if there's water in your oil.

If your car only leaks when it's hot, it's probably not your radiator. Drive it around and then stop and see if you can spot where the leak is.

You could have a leaking water pump. When the internal seals go bad, they leak and you want to replace it before it seizes and tears up your timing belt and you bend valves.Just take a look at where your water pump is and see if there is a leak. And also check all your hoses. when its running just look for antifreeze leaking out.

The whole blown head gasket thing would be something different. You would have sludge and **** in your radiator from the oil/antifreeze mixing and thats a whole different/WAY more expensive problem
Not necessarily. A leaking head gasket in an older car I had reacted just like this. A leaking head gasket can cause back pressure on the coolant, causing it to be pushed out of the reservoir. Water pump is also a possible problem. Run the car for a while, see if you can spot the leak.

You could have a leaking water pump. When the internal seals go bad, they leak and you want to replace it before it seizes and tears up your timing belt and you bend valves.Just take a look at where your water pump is and see if there is a leak. And also check all your hoses. when its running just look for antifreeze leaking out.

you obviously have never had a blown head gasket. you must have x-ray vision if you can see in each fin on a radiator. you will not have sludge in the radiator instead you get milky oil. first thing he should do is drive is car to see if smoke comes out like I said than do an oil change and see if the oil comes out milky.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Synyster97XLT

10+ year member
Reppin' the 304
Synyster97XLT
Charleston, West Virginia
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date