another ohm question

Participant count
  • Participant list

goodrich
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
i have an MTX 1501D that i want to run a couple of subs at 4 ohm....i know, i know...it's meant to run at 2 ohm but just listen.

reasons:

1) i figure if i run it at 4 ohm then that will be less stress on the amp and thus will last longer....right?

2) might be choosing 2 subs that can't handle the 2 ohm power ratting of the MTX.

3) i have a 5 channel MTX amp (birth sheet says 56 X 4 +200) but won't be using the 5th channel since i'll be using the MTX 1501D for the subs (750 X 1 @ 4 ohm). will i be able to run both of these amps without having to get an HO alt or an expensive battery? would i have to buy a cap? BTW it's a '98 honda civic.

i'm just rethinking my strategy to save a little cash. if i run the 1501D at 2 ohm then i will have to invest in electrical upgrades, i don't really want to do this because i still have to buy the HU, subs, sub box, and install.

i wanted to get an RE 12" XXX but that'll be $400 delivered but i can just about cut that in half by buying 2 type R's ( i know i'll get flamed for that).

i guess i could get a magnum D2 or a E12a for a few bucks more than the 2 R's...i know it would sound better but would either of the subs have more output than the 2 R's w/750 rms?

Sooner or later you would need to upgrade the alternator. My personal opinion is that if your alternator is at least 85ampers and you have a strong battery then you should be good for a while. You would need to check at night for dimming headlights. Getting a cap and or upgrading your battery are only temp fixes but may be exactly what you need.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.