Another Cooler Radio Build

Participant count
  • Participant list

BrianDye
10+ year member

2013 Dodge Charger R/T
Built one of these back when I was like 12 or 13 with stuff we had lying around the garage. Was alright, but I had some of the worst cutting skills ever for some reason.

Been off work this past week for maintenance and whatnot, so I decided to build another one.

Found 2 "wheeled" coolers for $5 on facebook, new 6.5" 2 way Pioneer speakers for $20, had an old Kinetik HC600 in the garage, and girlfriends dad gave me an old Dual headunit.

Mocked it all up, using a dremmel with the cutting bit, bad idea. Wired it up, battery wasnt holding a charge (Or so I thought), so I went out and got a 35AH SLA battery, wire loom, wires, crimp connectors, etc.

Decided these coolers were trash, didnt want my awesome sounds coming out of a cracked, warped, yellowed cooler, so I spent another $25 on a 50qt cube cooler, with a telescoping handle.

Still gonna add more stuff, gotta get back to work and get paid LOL. Gonna add a pair of 6x9's (One on either side), and have a digital voltmeter, USB charging port, and LED lit computer fan on their way in the mail. (Lots of LEDs too) Fan will be to get airflow in there, to keep it from overheating on hot days. I don't think it ever would, but it wont hurt to add this. Ill eventually upgrade the head unit too, as this ones bluetooth streaming days are over. Streaming music sounds like its sped up, and really low quality.

"End" product:

DSC00543_zpsb79b35df.jpg

DSC00544_zpsdce2e3ad.jpg

Antenna with removable mast in the cupholder

photo3_zps28843fd9.jpg

This thing is ridiculously loud. Haven't even been able to turn it up close to full yet. As of right now, it will play for roughly 14 hours (And that's under-estimating) at high/full volume.

And before anyone asks, no this one is not usable as a cooler anymore. This is my own personal one, and I never use coolers. We live right on the beach almost, so I can easily wheel this down there and play loud and clear music to be heard far far out. I am however collecting supplies to make more and sell, including ones that can serve the "cooler" purpose. There would be a partition that completely seals off all the electronics.

(Please dont waste your time to link to the "Coolest" cooler thing on Kickstarter. Comparing apples to oranges as ive told everybody thats emailed me responding to my for sale ads, mine are all built to play music LOUD and clear to be heard all over wherever you are. That Coolest one has a small bluetooth standalone speaker that is 5 watts and will last a couple hours at high volume; among not being able to be heard unless you are right at the cooler and its pretty quiet outside.)

A solar panel that fits on this wont do anything in terms of charging a battery this size (In any timely matter I should say)

Did a lot of reading about them, thought I could get a nice little one to fit on the lid, thinking I could get a little bit extra play time out of it, or just to charge it outside while i'm not using it, and I was wrong.

Solar Panel - Is this EVER worth my time?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.