Another Burnt up Amplifier Question.

DrAndews

I've recently installed 6 Solobaric L7 15" in my 2011 Yukon (Backstory as to why I've done this)

I took my old subs. (A pair of l7 12" 2008 model's) and a 2800 Watt Nitro Amp out of my car and brought it inside .. of.. my.. house.. set it infront my my home TV and wired it to a Yellow Top Optima Battery with the intention of just trickle-Chargeing the battery at night.

Worked great the first "Night".. Day number 2 comes around.. Im so excited because its finally daytime and I get to crank that thing up and hopefully make my Roof shake without waking my kids. I Plop down in front of my amp. Grab those Connector Wire and slam them into the battery.. .... Sparks... Yup.. Backwards

Soo.. In my forever ignorant stupidity. I never put a Fuse on the actual cables.. (not yet at least)

The fuse to the amp Blew (80A) Ive replaced it.. It powers on just fine.. and Its not going into Protection mode.. It just wont play any sound.. I would throw it out and just buy a new one and not bother yall.. HOWEVER; (This is the part I need help with, Hope you've enjoyed the backstory)

Whenever I unplug the battery, the Next 1.5 seconds .. the subs sound awesome. They play, Everythings fine until the Amp uses the rest of the juice it has stored..

SOO!! Im wondering if Maby,, I've junked my Optima Battery ?? Or could this maby be a case of low power on the battery? I do not have a volt-meter, Or a trickle-Charger. If Someone is 50% positive this could be caused by low power Ill go buy a trickle-Charger and charge this thing up

Anything else I should try?

We need more info like

What amp??

What is the resistance load ur putting on the amp

What does your electrical system consists of

Did u properly set your gains

The power supply is shot if it works on low voltage that's a tell tell sign the powersupply is shot sorry the best advice I can give you is trash it and buy another it's not even worth fixing.

The Amp is a BWM-488 Nitro Amp (German, Worked like a dream) 2600 watts. I dont know too much about it. Unable to find much litterature on it over the internet.

I had it bridged, The gains have never changed.(So yes they are correct) and it was just a single Yellow top Optima battery (Its a 2 channel Amp. I do-not know the Ohm-Load. I remember awhile back somone telling me he had wired it for 2-Ohm's).

well that is worth fixing but if it only plays for a second or 2 when you unhook the battery that means the caps are discharging and the voltage is dropping which is letting the f'ed up powersupply halfa$$ work.

Madcad95, So are you suggesting it is fixable? I would absolutly be unable to do this myself. What or who should i be looking for to fix this? Im sure my Car-audio places around town would be unable to fix it.. Or wouldn't care to "Waste" their time.

My honest opinion is the powersupply is shot probably around 100 to 150 to fix if its worth it to you then find an amp repair shop if not then get another amp i have had a couple of amps that did the same thing.

The power supply is shot if it works on low voltage that's a tell tell sign the powersupply is shot sorry the best advice I can give you is trash it and buy another it's not even worth fixing.
Most likely not the case if the amp is powering on normally.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.