Another Bose question 04 Tahoe

Participant count
  • Participant list

wmflyfisher
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Newb here with question regarding Bose system in new to me 04 Tahoe Z71. Already has double din Pioneer.

I want to simply add new front speakers to the doors with an added amp (not through Bose one) with either one ported 10 or 12 in the back.

Can I disconnect the front factory speakers and factory sub in the console and will the factory amp still function for the remaining speakers without damaging it?

I’m thinking a Sundown E 12 on about 750 watts. No alternator or battery upgrade. Thoughts??

wmflyfisher said:
Newb here with question regarding Bose system in new to me 04 Tahoe Z71. Already has double din Pioneer.

I want to simply add new front speakers to the doors with an added amp (not through Bose one) with either one ported 10 or 12 in the back.

Can I disconnect the front factory speakers and factory sub in the console and will the factory amp still function for the remaining speakers without damaging it?

I’m thinking a Sundown E 12 on about 750 watts. No alternator or battery upgrade. Thoughts??
so, youre wanting to disconnect the fronts that are run thru the blows (Bose) amp and leave the rears connected to the blows amp, run new fronts bypassing the blows amp and add a sub? That should be fine and i cant imagine how it would damage anything. If youre running a mere 750 watts, you shouldnt need a battery upgrade much less an alt. Your battery should be a decent one if youre planning on pulling some juice off it tho. Dont have the cheapest walmart crap in there, but you dont need a group 31 AGM either. Depending on your amperage pull, you should be able to get away with 4 gauge, but 0 gauge thru royal excelene is about the same price and will help future proof you also make it far easier for the amps to get proper juice

Thank you sir. Answered my question. Could I get away with 1000 watts with factory electrical system? 
barely, but probably. you dont want to go much more than that on stock electrical. some vehicles like yours have some pretty substantial stock electrical due to the sheer amount of stuff that runs off it. GM SUVs are very stout when it comes to that, only thing thats better is former police cars or ambulances etc etc

Since you already have an aftermarket headunit I would just cut the speakers at the harness behind the headunit. 

No battery required unless you plan on a lot listening with the car off. the Tahoe comes with a 135 amp alternator so you should be good until 1500 watts.

Since you already have an aftermarket headunit I would just cut the speakers at the harness behind the headunit. 

No battery required unless you plan on a lot listening with the car off. the Tahoe comes with a 135 amp alternator so you should be good until 1500 watts.
counting on a likely original alternator that output 135 amperes from the factory to still put out 135 amps is a very unsafe bet. 

What sub would you guys pick for under 1000 watts for a single 10 or 12 ported?
whats your budget and sound goals? budget is a huge factor as 1000 watts can get you pretty far for one sub

I really don’t want to go over $200 for the sub. Under $150 would be even better. I’ll be using infinity kappa coaxials in the doors no components. Listen to a mixture of rock and rap. 

I usually go with a sealed enclosure but figured I’d try ported this time to give me a little more low if I want it. 

I really don’t want to go over $200 for the sub. Under $150 would be even better. I’ll be using infinity kappa coaxials in the doors no components. Listen to a mixture of rock and rap. 

I usually go with a sealed enclosure but figured I’d try ported this time to give me a little more low if I want it. 
go ported and fire the port back at the liftgate. Probably tune it to 32 hz or thereabouts. Make some internal braces in the box, and use corner 45s. if youre not gonna use birch for the box, use 1" mdf, and paint a coat or 2 of sealant on the inside once its constructed.

I like the Image Dynamics IDQ. I'm running them now but might be a bit out of your price range. The Dayton HO would also be a good candidate. 
****, i cant remember that sub that @Popwarhomie posted the other day with a nice motor on it for around $170. At least i think it was him....

it was something along the lines of this guy https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/american-bass-xfl-12-inch-1000w-rms-dvc-subwoofer.html

SUBS_XFL_02__99510.1418236481.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How crucial is tuning a ported box to a particular sub? I want to buy a pre-fab box and not build one. Be ok as long as I get the internal volume right?

How crucial is tuning a ported box to a particular sub? I want to buy a pre-fab box and not build one. Be ok as long as I get the internal volume right?
yeah, it will work in a pre-fab, but you will just get a better outcome with a box built to specs. short answer is, yes. it will likely work. as with all ported boxes, be careful with it. be mindful of any weird smells while banging on it and especially when its new

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.