Another blown tweeter :(

Participant count
  • Participant list

swtguy
10+ year member

tx
I bought a set of infinity reference 6.5 components off ebay. One of the tweeters came broken and the other worked. I returned the broken one to a certain store for a new one. Now the one that worked(not the new one) is broken too. Do tweeters have a tendency to go out when they get older? I only had a 37.5rms jbl amp pushing the whole component set. They are supposed to be 90 watts rms. Would having it mounted real close to a metal surface with nothing behind it maybe have messed up the magnet or something or where they just old and messed up when I got them?

Also how much better do the kappas sound than the reference? I can't find a place where I can listen to them together or even the kappas at all(small town). The references dont have very good midrange and the highs seem to be a little "tin sounding" if that makes sense. I'm considering dumping the references and picking up a pair of kappas. Thanks!

the metal should not have anything to do with the tweeters blowing, check ur low and high passes, make sure ur not sending low frequencies to the tweeter, that can blow, also check wiring to make sure it is not clipping, keep ur gains down and make sure ur not jacking the volume up ok, listen for distortion when volume is up

my bad, i was replying to two posts, ignore the clipping part, but neonak, the ohms will match up, they are probly 4 ohm speakers and his can handle that, so it has nothing to do with the ohms

Yeah the speakers and amp are 4ohms.... the amp just went out so maybe it was sending a bad signal and blew the tweeter.....

I Blew one of my JBL tweeters yesterday it just didnt work anymore and when i went to a caraudio shop they said they cant repair tweeters and i have to buy a new pair of them .

i dont know how they blew maybe because i set the LPF on ? i dont know

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Originally posted by Mayshno i dont know how they blew maybe because i set the LPF on ? i dont know

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

yeah, i would be surprised if they didn't blow yet. LPF means it only lets the low frequencies thru. For Tweeters u need HPF (high pass) so u oinly send high frequencies

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.