Amprack rework

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
Jul 24, 2005
15,249
132
WA
Thought I would share my momentum wood skills and rework experience from start to finish. As I had before, the SS amps, had them for 5 years, are long gone. Sold them to a local.  I'm done with Soundstream, done dealing with their cheap components, not giving a crap about quality, only $$.

1282.JPG

1283.JPG

 

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
Jul 24, 2005
15,249
132
WA
Once I sold off the amps, it was time to remove the board from the Tahoe. Removed the lose wiring only, left the RCA's and other wiring intact where they are.

What a mess on the carpet too!! A lot of stains I cleaned up, removed the rear seats. 014.jpg

015.jpg

 

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
Jul 24, 2005
15,249
132
WA
Alright so at this point I noticed a few dowel pieces fell out. Dummy me didn't use wood glue the 1st time around reworking the amprack but I made sure I did this time around. Removed the plastic grommets and took measurements of the hole sizes and wrote them down. Went to my local Lowes and bought some dowel rods, I think 4-5 diff sizes and around 10 bucks. Pretty cheap. I already had bondo at home and some wood glue so I'm set to get started...

Cut each dowel longer because I'm gonna eventually cut it/sand it flush anyway. I cut small grooves in the dowels for wood glue before I put them in the holes.

016.jpg

018.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

 

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
Jul 24, 2005
15,249
132
WA
Once I got all the dowels in the holes, I cut off the excess and sanded everything flat. Then applied some bondo in areas needed, dips, etx. Sanded that flat too. Had to go over a few areas with bondo. But turned out pretty flat and looks pretty good.  Afterwords, I corner rounded the sides and front only. The back I left as is because it's not gonna be seen.

006.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

 

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
Jul 24, 2005
15,249
132
WA
Now it was time to layout the new hole locations for the wiring/RCA's. Got the appropriate sized holes drilled needed and mounting holes too.

004.jpg

002.jpg

 

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
Jul 24, 2005
15,249
132
WA
Now comes the fun part. After pondering the idea of a finish for it for awhile, decided on some Partsexpress Duratex paint for it and will match the amps really well. Black goes with anything.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

 

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
Jul 24, 2005
15,249
132
WA
Did a mock up and wanted a visualization of what it would look like once done. The result is gonna look pretty badass. With the plastic grommets in places, this install will look very clean. Still have to go to the hardware store and pick out some bolts, spiked t-nuts, and washers for them.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg