amplifier question

rj22beast
10+ year member

houston
Could I wire or run a 2 channel amp with a 800 watt peak, and un it to both my 10 in subs there 200rms each so I was wondering if I could turn the amp down so it don't push hard, and so my speakers don't take much damage, so could I run my amp at 400 wats and split it in each channel to both speakers?

first off wrong section but no biggie. second, peak power means absolutely nothing because the conditions of the tests they used to obtain those numbers are not real world applicable, look for the RMS rating. we need to know exactly what equipment you are talking about model number everything including what type of voice coils are in your subs i.e. svc or dvc: 2ohm, 4ohm, etc.

10" Dual 4 ohm Shallow Mount Prime Stage 2 Series Subwoofer Power Handling: Peak: 400 watts persub RMS: 200 watts per sub Impedance: 4 ohm Mica injected polypropylene cone Black raised surround Linearspider with 16 AWG woven tinsel leads StampCast basket with integrated spider venting CEA-2031 Compliant accurate power handling rating Designed for use with sealed and vented enclosures High temperature voice coil Integrated PVC trim ring Anodized aluminum voice coil former Frequency response: 45-250 Hz Sensitivity: 82 dB Mounting depth: 3-7/16"

That's the subs,

im wondering what amp to get for the subs too, so umm would a 200rms at 2 channels @ 4 ohms un the subs good? And the amp has 400w max?

A 2 channel that has 200w rms x 2 channels at 4 ohms would not work because u can't wire the subs to each channel at 4 ohms, but you could bridge the amp at 4 ohms to the subs, or you could just get a monoblock amp that has 400w rms x 1 channel at 1 ohm, you can wire 2 subs to one channel, you don't need two channels for subwoofers because they play in unison without any differentiation from left and right. The best route would be to get a class d monoblock because it will be the cheapest and most efficient. Just make sure u wire it to the correct impedance, there are many sub wiring diagrams online just search for them, it's fairly simple.

Ok thanks so much, and so if I was to wire speakers in the future id have to have another channel right? And and suggestions cuz I wanna put speakers in latter just don't have money now and what power or wattage should the mono block be?

Fi-brations, that is not 100% true. There is source material and headunits that put out stereo sub bass frequencies though not as common in most modern music. In the car, I'm not very sure if it makes much of a difference since 2 subwoofers usually share a common enclosure and are right next to each other.

rj22beast, Fi-brations has given good advice, though there are a couple more options. You could find a 2 channel amp that is stable down to a 2 ohm load putting out 200 watts RMS to each channel or a mono amp that will put out 400 watts into a 4 ohm load. Just wanted to let you know in case you find good used equipment. Fi-brations option will probably be the most economical though. Don't be afraid to purchase an amp putting out a little more wattage than your subs are rated to handle. It's better to have "too much" power and turn the gain down rather than have not enough power and turn the gain up. Most of the time it's distortion which causes damage to subwoofers not over excursion. Best of luck on your purchases and installation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.