Amplifier Problems!!

Patthehat033
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Missouri
Hi,

*ALSO, I only have till the 24th to reverse the payment if this was truly not my fault and he sold me an amp on its last leg. SO ALL INPUT WOULD BE HELPFUL!!

I previously purchased a CDX-20a from the user Jason19, and I am having some problems with the amp. It seems to be partially blown. When I apply the remote wire power to the amp, the fuse under my hood blows.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/547417-cliff-design-cdx-20a-cheater-amp-3600-watts-rms-cheap.html#post8039941

When I first received the amplifier it was in "Working" condition as he mentioned in the ad. I have been running the amplifier very lightly with the gain low. Voltage drop in the upper 13's, no light dimming, and the amp did not run warm at all.

It has been about 2 weeks since I received the amp. When I first got it he had the gain very high and I forgot to check it before installing it. I took a small test drive and it almost shut off my car on one bass note (it dimmed my lights really bad is what I mean), then I turned it down after that one note. This was the first day I installed it.

I have done many tests and concluded it is indeed the amp. It is not my wiring, there is no shorts or anything.

The amp seems to look fine on the inside, but I have taken some pictures and need some advice what to do.

He told me previously in a text, that "He got the amp for his friend who thought the amp was messed up in the first place, then he got the amp from his friend, took it to a repair shop and it checked out okay, and resold it to me." Honestly, I believe he should of told that to me before buying the amp, that is kind of shady. Now I am $300 down the drain.

Also it looks like maybe the amp was previously repaired from the dark spots around the solders. Plus the amp kicked out when the radio was at 0 volume which also makes me kind of suspicious... because I heard like little noises coming from my sub.

6hnvif.jpg

r8gs3o.jpg

3463v4z.jpg

2wr2f6a.jpg

2nv6iyq.jpg

148rrt.jpg

2numzrb.jpg

Thank you, hopefully you guys can help me out!

Last edited by a moderator:
u check the output transistors?
Yes, on one side of the amp all the output transistors registered a decent amount of resistance. But on the other side of the amp all the output transistors registered "1" on the multimeter. I feel there is some type of problem with those.

Well I am trying to see if this was a user error or a fluke error. I believe Jason19 owes me a full refund for not informing me about the condition and the background of the amp. What do you guys think? To me it looks like the amp was previously repaired and was on its last leg.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.