amplifier problems, is it me or my amps?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jam3so3

first off i have 2 audiopipe apcl 15001d's bridged at 2 ohms on 4 obsidian audio 15 v3's, they are d4's in a 14cu.ft box tuned to 33hz.

my problem is that i tuned my amps with an oscilloscope on a 100 and a 40hz 0db test tone, my receiver clipps the sub out at volume 36, so i tuned the amps at volume 28. the amplifier clipps sooner at 40hz and the max clean output i was getting was 57v AC @ 19a and wired to 2 ohms (idk about box rise).

the problem is that it is not loud at the clean tuning settings when i play music now, also they are not moving very much on music. in order for me to make the subs loud and moving a good amount i need to have the amp clipping.

is there anything i could possibly have done wrong? or is it just my amps, i know that audiopipe amps can get real dirty to make power and accept that that may be my problem. if its the amps i would like to buy a different more suitable one. as usual i dont have a huge budget, so im limited on what i can get. let me know what you think and if u have any amplifier reccomendations. thanks

MISC: i have a 250A alternator, 2 optima yellow tops and KNU 1/0 ofc for big three.

check your amplifier settings specifically your subsonic filter and your crossovers if your headunit has a crossover turn it off or set it to the highest setting. also make sure your enclosure is sealed especially the seal between the subs and box use some kind of weather seal or get some of the rubber gasket in rolls from parts express.

diddnt say what headunit you had - it could be part of the problem.

but

also amp recomendations - mb quart 1500 on ebay is on close out and silly cheap = pick up a pair of them before they run out.

MB Quart DSC1500 1D 1500 Watt RMS Mono Block Class D Car Amplifier Amp Bass Knob 806576215745 | eBay

also im not shure about how you have 4 subs that are each dual 4 coils - pairs of them cant wire to 2 ohms so ? im lost on that a little ..... your either wired at 1 or 4 ohms per pair of d4 subs / but the good thing is that those mb quart amps can be wired to 1 ohms load - so a pair of your dual 4 subs can wire to 1 ohm for each amp = sucess and each sub should do great on 750w avalable on that amp.

you will not find a better amp for a cheaper price than those ! gota love close outs

diddnt say what headunit you had - it could be part of the problem.but

also amp recomendations - mb quart 1500 on ebay is on close out and silly cheap = pick up a pair of them before they run out.

MB Quart DSC1500 1D 1500 Watt RMS Mono Block Class D Car Amplifier Amp Bass Knob 806576215745 | eBay

also im not shure about how you have 4 subs that are each dual 4 coils - pairs of them cant wire to 2 ohms so ? im lost on that a little ..... your either wired at 1 or 4 ohms per pair of d4 subs / but the good thing is that those mb quart amps can be wired to 1 ohms load - so a pair of your dual 4 subs can wire to 1 ohm for each amp = sucess and each sub should do great on 750w avalable on that amp.

you will not find a better amp for a cheaper price than those ! gota love close outs
thanks for the recommendation, but id rather go with one amp as i have 2 now and it makes tuning much more difficult. also my amps are bridged, so all 4 subs are wired to 2 ohms, so each amp is seeing a 1 ohm load. today i separated and unbridged the channels and did a rough gain setting because i couldn't use my oscilloscope. but i played some bass heavy decaf music for 20 min straight and the coils didn't heat up at all, my voltage drop was small too, definitely is alot louder and sound better than it did when it was bridged. i currently have a sony MEX-BT3100P Sony Mobile Audio | Receivers | MEX-BT3100P it says u can turn off the lpf but i cant figure out how its set to 120hz, highest, and theres this *** lpf slope setting i dont want either. receiver clipps the signal at 37@40hz

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.