Amplifier clipping

Why can't companies design there amps to warn you when you are clipping them to make gain setting universally simple?
It is universally simple //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Learn to recognize distortion, or invest in an oscilloscope (useful for many things in electronics beyond setting input gains).

It is universally simple //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
Learn to recognize distortion, or invest in an oscilloscope (useful for many things in electronics beyond setting input gains).
that may be true, but for the average car audio buyer it is not.

that may be true, but for the average car audio buyer it is not.
[RANT]Well, whose fault is that? I've yet to meet a more universally clueless group than the car audio market segment. The information is out there. We're on the 'net for godsake. If an individual isn't willing to take the time to learn, to calibrate his ears, and to spend countless hours listening and correlating his impressions, then why the fruck is he involved with audio in the first place? Maybe, just maybe if car audio weren't filled with such poor excuses for audio hobbyists, the market wouldn't be full of horrific equipment geared for the lowest common denominator and the lowly expectations that it brings along.[/RANT]

[RANT]Well, whose fault is that? I've yet to meet a more universally clueless group than the car audio market segment. The information is out there. We're on the 'net for godsake. If an individual isn't willing to take the time to learn, to calibrate his ears, and to spend countless hours listening and correlating his impressions, then why the fruck is he involved with audio in the first place? Maybe, just maybe if car audio weren't filled with such poor excuses for audio hobbyists, the market wouldn't be full of horrific equipment geared for the lowest common denominator and the lowly expectations that it brings along.[/RANT]
sheesh, guess i struck a nerve. I was just wondering do they not do it b/c it is difficult or costly or just cause they don't have to.

The issue of "clipping" isn't as simple as an indicator on the amplifier, unfortunately.
Technically yes it is. When a amplifier starts to clip the waveform it is when the internal input voltage is the same or more than the output voltage.

so that the inexperienced buyer can fry their current purchase and hopefully come back to buy another.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif:greedy:

so that the inexperienced buyer can fry their current purchase and hopefully come back to buy another.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif:greedy:
That's what I was thinking lol. If experienced people didn't clip there amps as much, it would possibly cause them to last longer, therefore less monies for them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.