ampcuts off when turned up.

Participant count
  • Participant list
How many speakers are hooked up to the amp? If your amp is seeing a 1 or 2 ohm mono load it might shut down and or increase distortion. And make sure the amp is grounded to bare metal that is welded to vehicle chassis.

You MUST follow a trouble shooting path. Start by removing speaker wires from the AMP an testing the resistance. Compare the numbers with the SUBs specs and the AMPs minium ohm load. If they check out test voltage at the amps terminals

i am running 3 mtx 6000 @ 12 ohms each, run in a parrallel cirucit which makes it a stable 4 ohm load. I was thinking it might have something to do with the volts it is recieving. Because i have another amp runing power through the same line as my mtx amp.It doesn't cut out when i am driving, just in idle. my ground has been run to the ground on the battery.my mtx amp gets really hot in intense use. Thanks

Originally posted by mtx1985 i am running 3 mtx 6000 @ 12 ohms each, run in a parrallel cirucit which makes it a stable 4 ohm load. I was thinking it might have something to do with the volts it is recieving. Because i have another amp runing power through the same line as my mtx amp.It doesn't cut out when i am driving, just in idle.
You have to test the voltage at many points with the volume up. Give a break to your alternator & battery after a couple tests THEN continue. write down all voltage numbers. First test the battery poles then clamps. Next move the negitive probe to a car body ground and retest the positive pole. Now on to the wire just out of the battery clamp,then the wire just before inline fuse block, before the fuse & after. Now the wire just out of the block then at the amp's terminal. Now acroos the both amps terminals.
my ground has been run to the ground on the battery
why would you want to do such a thing? the whole car is a ground and you should use it. Runing the wire all the way back to the battery causes more resistance that I bet we will see when you do the voltage test
.my mtx amp gets really hot in intense use. Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.