amp won't turn on = me sad =(

im so //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

i really thought it was the remote wire so i checked the connections and they were fine. i tried connected it to an radio fuse, but that didnt work.

I even tried new wire, but that didnt work either. I tried 2 new wires. Each time, when i turned the key on and touched the remote to the terminal, the on light came on for half a second then shut off. What does that mean?

Maybe its not my remote and maybe its the power cable or inline fuse? I tried getting a reading with a different voltmeter and it didnt read 12V on power or remote, but then again it didnt even read 12V on my battery and the chasis. so the voltmeter was of no help.

Someone please help me before i cry. boooooo PLEASEEEEEEEEE

Well, it'd be a whole lot easier to narrow down the problem with a working voltmeter. Maybe the problem with your voltmeter is that you don't have a proper ground for it...it's happened to me many times.

Is your amp going into protect?

if there was a short in the wire, it would cause it to turn on then turn off?
and what would happen if i kept the remote terminal jumped to the battery terminal? when i do that, the amp only turns on when the key is in.

and yes troubleshooting is great...... lol all the help from you guys is roxxxx my soxxxx though haha
According to this, your remote is fine, but your power wire needs replacing.

no its not going into protect. it wont turn on at all.

i was looking at the inline fuse to check if it was okay and when i unscrewed one of the ends of the holder, the end of the fuse came off. and the other end came off when i unscrewed the other side. that stumped me.

i have a feeling that my power wire or fuse is messed up. yikes

my holder desc. says "Water Resistant Inline Fuse Holder - AGU type - 4Gauge"

fuse desc. says "AGU fuse - 80 amp - gold plated"

how do you really tell if your amp is a goner? i saw electricity going through it when i connected the neg. back on my battery. oops if thats bad.

and squeak12, thanks for all your help man. everyone else too.

my holder desc. says "Water Resistant Inline Fuse Holder - AGU type - 4Gauge"
fuse desc. says "AGU fuse - 80 amp - gold plated"

how do you really tell if your amp is a goner? i saw electricity going through it when i connected the neg. back on my battery. oops if thats bad.

and squeak12, thanks for all your help man. everyone else too.
try replacing the fuse....the fuse might look like it works but itz really messed up.

I would get a new fuse. Those are the tube kind right? If so, thats the same kind that was present in the above situation. It came from an amp kit on eBay with crappy RCAs and overrated wires.

yeah its the tube kind.

my situation:

1. amp wouldnt turn on at all

2. amp turned on when i reconnected everything and moved the power wire/fuse, then turned off and stayed off

3. amp turns on when jumped (with key on) but turns off when key isnt in

so with everything i have described, a bad fuse is most likely the problem? if not then probably the power wire.

my ground is good if the amp turns on when i jump the remote correct?

(sorry for so many questions)

Do you have a voltmeter? Do you know how to use it? Or maybe a 12 volt "test" light?

Assume nothing. I've seen so many troubleshooters assume that because a wire looks connected it's OK.

The amp only cares about the voltages at its terminals. ALWAYS use the amp's actual negative terminal for measurements, NOT the car's ground.

Do this:

Voltmeter negative lead on amp's negative terminal. Positive lead on car chassis (clean metal). Should have zero volts. If any voltage shows there, your ground wire is not making connection.

Positive lead on +12V terminal. Got 12V? If not, check main wire and fuse.

Positive meter lead on REM terminal. Should be zero with head unit off. Should be 12 v with head unit on. Amp will not turn on unless REM is hot.

It's that simple. ASSUME NOTHING. Verify everything.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.