Amp Wiring Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

drummer_punk82
10+ year member

Michigan
Ok, here's the deal.

All values are RMS:

My amp can do 380Wx1(mono) @ 4ohms or 190Wx2(stereo) @ 2 ohms.

I have two 4 ohm DVC subwoofers.

Which method would be louder? I currently have them hooked up at 2 ohms to my amp.

What do you all think? Or, would they both sound the same??

I thought that probably was the case but since the Mono setup was @ 4ohms I thought it would make a difference. Right now, I have the VC's in parallel and they are hooked to the amp in series. That makes 2 ohms but if I wanted 4 ohms than I'd just reverse the setup; VC's in series to the amp bridged.

Wouldn't the 2 ohm setup be louder because of less resistance?

Only if the amplifier can deliver more power. Loudness is not dependent on resistance. 380X1 or 190X2 is still only 380 watts....

The less resistance the sub shows the amp, the more wattage that is sent to the sub. Ofcourse you wanna keep it at a safe resistance load, but if your getting 190 watts at 4 ohms or at 2 ohms, its no different. Sub is seeing 190 watts no matter what. Now if you wired say a single sub 4 ohms, listened to it, then wired it 2 ohms and listened to it, you would notice a difference because the amp is sending more power at 2 ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.