Amp Wiring... Please Read...

Participant count
  • Participant list

b1utigg3r2
10+ year member

I have a MTX Thunder 8100D and I just ordered two MTX Thunder 8000 T8124 and a PPI cap... The amplifier pumps out 500w @ 12.2v and the subs can handle 400w RMS, now if I'm not mistaken will the amp be too much power for these subs? The suggested wires I should use to power the amp is 0/1ga wires, can I use 4ga? Please help me out, thanks~!

500 might be a bit much for those subs but remember that alot of companies underate the power handling capabilities of their subs so you might want to talk to someone from MTX to be totally sure.

and as for the wiring go 0/1 just to be on the safe side

Originally posted by b1utigg3r2 I have a MTX Thunder 8100D and I just ordered two MTX Thunder 8000 T8124 and a PPI cap... The amplifier pumps out 500w @ 12.2v and the subs can handle 400w RMS, now if I'm not mistaken will the amp be too much power for these subs? The suggested wires I should use to power the amp is 0/1ga wires, can I use 4ga? Please help me out, thanks~!
You should be very careful with the amount of power you'll have availible to these woofers. The 8100d benchs in the 1300 watt range into 2 ohm mono, which could very well put a hurting on the 8k 12"s. The woofers have a tinsel lead problem, and could very well snap apart in high excursion...

4 ga will run the amp ok, if you can afford 1/0, by all means run it.

Loyd L.

You should be very careful with the amount of power you'll have availible to these woofers. The 8100d benchs in the 1300 watt range into 2 ohm mono
Thats definitely true, I've seen anywhere in the 1100's to 1200's on the birthsheet. So you could be overpowering by as much as 200 wRMS per sub. Can it be done, yes of course, but I think the quality of their subs are starting to decline slightly. Maybe it's because they set high expectations or whatever, but they aren't as reliable as they were a few years ago. A while back I was thinking about going with 2 8100D's to power 4-12" 8000's, the model that handled 500wRMS, I've seen a few setups similiar, but I haven't heard or seen anyone with the newer 400Wrms, running off the 8100. You can try it, but be very very careful. You'll want to start off with the gains all the way down, sealed box, 1/0 is what they recommend that is what I would go for (you already spent big bucks on everything else, no need to short change the wire), you can kinda get a feel when your sub is close to it's limits. By all means, if you can get your money back for that amp or exchange it for another, that would be best.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.